Glenda B. Appraiser
Glenda B. Appraiser, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience buying and selling antiques as a collector and 14+ yrs. as antique store owner. Member of Association of Online Appraisers and AADA.
53729464

There. WE have a copy of : Pitcairn: The Island, The People,

Hi there. WE have a copy of : Pitcairn: The Island, The People, and the Pastor.
It's a tenth edition. There are two fly pages. The first page has some-ones name on it. We can't read the persons title, but the name is***** (or J) Philip, with a date under that of 2nd January 1834 (at least we think that's what it looks like!). Under that is another note that says: To Alexander Gauld.
The second page has a note on it, which we can't make out completely, but looks like:
Prize for good conduct and general proficiency awarded to Alexander Gauld by the order of ???? scholars at school of InverKeithing March 1869 (we think!!). The cover is royal blue, but has been protected by brown paper.
The book is at my late mothers house in Ballintuim in Scotland - and we are trying to work our why she would have it, and whether it has any value. Can you assist please? Thank you.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. Appraiser replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is Glenda,
Thank you for choosing us for your Appraisal needs.

Are you wanting the current market value for this book?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes please.

Hello Audrey

.
The Book, Pitcairn: The Island, The People, and the Pastor has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $275.00-285.00, depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. These will typically sell higher in an Antique Book Store or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally. As Antique Books are subject in selling price to different areas across the country. Larger Metropolitan Areas bring higher prices then Smaller Cities.
.
If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from. You can sell in your local area or a larger city near you with Craigslist, it is free, and when they item sells the buyer picks it up.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great!

Keep in mind if you sell to a dealer or antique or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
If you have any further questions or problem about your answer, please reply to me before deciding to leave a negative rating, which does effect my job.
.
If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name ( Glenda ) at the beginning of your question.
.
Please keep in mind I am only compensated from the site for my answer, if you rate me positively.
.
You do so immediately following this answer by clicking one of the top two Smiles, or Stars depending which one you see on your answer! .
.
Thank you so much!
Glenda

Hi, I'm just checking in to see how things are going. Let me know if you still need help!"
If there was a problem with the answer I provided for you? I would be happy to address that. If not a rating would be greatly appreciated, since this is the only way we are compensated for answering questions, from the site.
.
Thank you so much!
Glenda