Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

Approx price of an Aaron E Penley watercolour of Loch Venacher

Customer Question

Approx price of an Aaron E Penley watercolour of Loch Venacher 80cm by 50cm.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.I will be pleased to help you.Thank you for all the information.Please allow me time to research your question, calculate current values and write my answer.Kind regards,Doris
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
Biography from Brightwells - Aaron E Penley (1807-1870)"Aaron Penley first exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1835, but his main allegiance was to the New Society of Painters in Watercolours where he showed 308 works over his lifetime. He received royal patronage and was appointed watercolour-painter in ordinary to William 1V and Queen Adelaide. He painted Queen Victoria and taught her son Prince Arthur."When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.Taking the average price per square inch of 8 watercolor landscapes by Penley, I calculated a value of $2.16 per square inch for his paintings. His portraits sell much higher.Then taking the $2.16 per square inch average value and multiplying it by the dimensions of your painting we have in inches 31.5 x 19.7 x $2.16 = $1340 for the estimated auction price of your example of Penley's work.A retail art gallery would probably charge $2680 for your painting.A private seller to a dealer can expect 40-60% of retail value.I hope I have helped you.If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.If you would like to work with me on future questions, I would be pleased to work with you.All you have to do is put my name (Doris) at the beginning of your question.Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.Kind regards.Doris