Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine & Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA, USPAP Compliant through 2019
71377891

I have two miniature silver candlesticks, of plain design with

Customer Question

I have two miniature silver candlesticks, of plain design with the base larger than the top, with two ridged rings round the base, the bottom of the stem and at the neck and on the top.
One is marked with Samuel Smiley's SS, lion, shield and hexagon with a 1 in it. The other has an unidentified mark, then an anchor or cross, the lion and a g.
Could you please tell me where and when they were produced and their likely market value?
If I wanted to sell them, how should I go about it? Thank you
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi There~ My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question. At your convenience, please send photos. A full image with the design and a clear, in-focus close-up of the mark would be ideal. When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range. When evaluating an item, photos are essential to helping me come to a correct assessment. There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos: http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here. Sincerely,Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jude,
I am able to see the Samuel Smiley hallmarks very well here in the images - however I cannot see the other set of hallmarks on the second piece with the anchor. At your convenience, please send more clear, in-focus images of those hallmarks.
Also, a photo of each from top to bottom and their height will be very helpful.
Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This is another close-ep of the second hallmark. Hope it is clear. Thanks

Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hello, Somehow the image is not opening for me. Please re-send at your convenience. ~Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jude, Thank you for the new clear image, it is perfect. At your convenience, please provide a photo of each candle stick holder from top to bottom and their height. ~Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Nora

The candlesticks are 9 cms high or 3.7 ins. as pictured below....

Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jude,
Thank you for the images.
Please allow me some time to look these over for you.
~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jude~
Thank you for your patience.
The hallmarks on both of your candleholders indicate that these are English sterling silver. Sterling silver has a precious metal melt-down value based on weight and daily market price fluctuations.
The candle holder marked SS is actually for ***** ***** from London. The leopard face means it was assayed in London. The hallmark with a 1 in it is actually the date letter code of a small case “L” for the year; with rounded bottom cartouche this correlates to 1906. Samuel Smiley was an earlier 19th century silversmith, again this is by ***** ***** and not Smiley.
The candleholder with the anchor indicates it was made in Birmingham, England. The lower case G is also the date mark for 1906. The maker mark is CB & S in a trefoil, which is for Charles Boynton and Son.
Each city for assaying has its own set of date code letters, so a London piece and a Birmingham piece made the same year will have different date code letters in their hallmarks.
It is not unusual for 2 different makers to produce similar standard shape objects.
On today’s market, each one of the small size English Edwardian era sterling silver candle holders would sell for an average of $35 - $60 per piece at auction. The suggested insurance or replacement value is $110 each.
Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating.
If you are having trouble finding the rating button, please let me know!
Your question will NOT close after you leave rating.
Sincerely,
Nora