Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine & Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA, USPAP Compliant through 2019
71377891

There, I work in a recycling depot and recently came across

Hi there, I work in a recycling depot and recently came across three volumes of Montaigne's Essays dated 1811. They appear to me to be original and are leather bound, in reasonable condition for their age and are stamped on the front with "Faculty of Procurators in Glasgow". They came from an abbey that has recently been sold and I presume the new owner was having a clear out as there was quite a few books and other religious paraphernalia. I've done a little research and realise that the essays are quite famous so do these copies have any value and should I keep them or return them to the dump? Thanks for your help, David Thomson
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi David~ My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question. In order to ascertain the value, I will need to know the publisher name inside this volume set. I look forward to reading back from you with the information. Sincerely,Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Nora, at the bottom of the title page it says, printed for W. Miller, Albemarle Street; White and Cochrane, Fleet Street; and Lackington, Allen, and co., Finsbury Square; By C. Baldwin, New Bridge-street. I hope this is the info you require, David.
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi David,
You made a great save!
Your antique book set published in 1811 by Miller and White & Cochrane of Montaigne's Essays (or
The Essays of Michael de Montaigne, Translated Into English, with Very Considerable Amendments and Improvements from the Most Accurate French Edition of Peter Coste) has a high retail sale value of $700 on today's market.
Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating.
If you are having trouble finding the rating button, please let me know!
Your question will NOT close after you leave rating.
Sincerely,
Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi David~
Thanks for the positive rating! Much Appreciated.
I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.
When you post a new question, please add "For Nora" or "Hi Nora" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you.
The only items I do not assess for value are clocks, coins, watches, sewing machines, swords and firearms.
Sincerely,
Nora