Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I own a pair of Charles Dixon watercolours, Thames marine subjects

Customer Question

I own a pair of Charles Dixon watercolours, Thames marine subjects 'Shipping above Woolwich' each 10.5" x 30", signed, inscribed and dated '08 in gilt mounts , framed and glazed.
I am in the process of changing my Contents insurance. These were last valued in Sep 2002 at £6,000 the pair. Can you give me a ballpark figure for what they are now worth please?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Thank you for all the information.

Please allow me time to research your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

Kind regards,

Doris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Doris

I would appreciate an answer by the end of tomorrow please since Wed will be decision day.

Mike

Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
Charles Edward Dixon isdescribed as a British painter who is known for his marine scenes painted in watercolor. He dates 1872-1934.

When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.
We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.

I made a careful study of recent auction sales of similar works by Charles E Dixon.

Retail art gallleries would double or more the auction sales price,

Using this information, I determined your pair of Dixon marine paintings to have a current insurance replacement value of GBP 14,225.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

If you would like to work with me on future questions, I would be pleased to work with you.
All you have to do is put my name (Doris) at the beginning of your question.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

Kind regards.

Doris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Doris. Just what I was after.

Mike

Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
Please consider giving me a positive rating. It is the only way I am compensated by Just Answer for my work.
You should see five stars or five happy faces with my answer. This is where you rate me. Rating me a positive
does not cost you any extra.

Kind regards,
Doris
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so much for the positive rating. If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “Doris” at the first of the question.

Thank you again.