rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in sterling, gold, American and European porcelain and art glass.
68269273

I have two british hallmark silver partridges with the makers

i have two british hallmark silver partridges with the makers mark cph and co. who are cph and co please
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Please do add a photo of the birds and of the mark on one of them. I want to be sure that you are reading the marks correctly since I am not recognizing CPH in London. If I can see the mark , maybe we'll see that one of the letters was misread. It is also possible that these were made by Berthold Muller and imported to London. The only way I can know that is to see these marks. You can pictures by using the paper clip icon or ADD FILES button. These features work best on a desktop computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Re: birds

i am sorry for the delay in following up your request for more info it does not mean i have lost interest.

I am not good on computers and although i have taken a photo of the two birds one of which appears to be a cock bird standing to full height whilst the other appears to be a female sitting low on her legs i do not have the knowhow to send these on over e mail.
The photos of the hallmark are hopeless as the silver is too shiny, however i have taken a toothbrush to the marks and a lens after and can update you.

makers mark cfh+co. Lion : Leopards head : Capital Q, with a loop to the left of the base of the Q and a small tail to the right.

All set in square or rectangle with cut off angles across the corners, i hope this will be of some help thanks tim
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
I would like to address the Q first, because that is the date code. When looking at the other elements of the mark, this is London sterling and the chamfered corner shape with a capital Q brings us to two choices for the date, 1951 or 1990. I am adding the markings list as photos and I want you to compare the Q for the dates 1951 and 1990 and tell which matches.I can go from there to look for CPH makers that operated within those dates.
Experience: Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in sterling, gold, American and European porcelain and art glass.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1990 seems favorite as there is a loop to the left and a tail to the right thanks

Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Eureka!These birds are made by Charles Frederick Hancock and Co of London, 1990. They are sterling silver and the pair is worth $3600.00 us dollars.