Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have a Ray Evans watercolour on parchment of the Southgate

Customer Question

I have a Ray Evans watercolour on parchment of the Southgate in Winchester, I am looking for a true valuation it is in excellent condition.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please tell me the dimensions of your painting. I also need the type of frame and matting it is in.

Kind regards,

Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am not with the painting at the moment but with the frame and border it is 2 ft by 18 inches a gold coloured frame I think of no value .
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for all the information.

Please allow me time to research your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

Kind regards,

Doris
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.
Ray Evans is known as a UK artist. He was born in 1920.

When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.
We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.

I was able to determine an estimated auction value of $450 for your watercolor on parchment after comparing the auction values of similar watercolors by Ray Evans.

A retail art gallery would charge at least double the auction sales price.
This means the retail price of your painting would be at least $900 assuming excellent condition.

A private seller to a dealer can expect 40-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

If you would like to work with me on future questions, I would be pleased to work with you.
All you have to do is put my name (Doris) at the beginning of your question.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

Kind regards.

Doris
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for the positive rating. If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “Doris” at the first of the question.

Thank you again.