Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine & Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA, USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I have a Jug with hinged lid, highly decorative, about 6" in

I have a Jug with hinged lid, highly decorative, about 6" in height. Belonged to my great grandmother, I'm 70 so it has some age. Appears to be silver, seriously tarnished not cleaned in years, if ever. Bottom is stamped P BROS S with four what appear to be hall marks and a number 11428. Might it have value, please. Regards Peter.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi Peter~
Thank you for the request here.
At your convenience, please send photos. A full image with the design and a clear, in-focus close-up of the mark would be ideal.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
When evaluating an item, photos are essential to helping me come to a correct assessment.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Nora,

Thanks for your quick response. I'm in no hurry for an answer, so don't break your weekend on my behalf. I've attached some pictures and hope they are OK.

Regards,

Peter

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi Peter~
Thank you for the images.
This is an antique 19th century, circa 1880, Victorian era hinge-lidded jug that is silverplated.
The letters below the maker mark are EPBM, for ‘Electro-Plated Britannia Metal’.
P. Bros. S stands for the maker, Pinder Brothers, Thomas Griffith Pinder and Charles Edward Pinder who were the sons of George William Pinder.
The surface decoration was mostly done by machine-turning.
The numbers 11428 are for the mold shape of the object.
On today’s market, this can sell for an average of $60 - $80 (39GBP - 52GBP). The suggested insurance or replacement value is $125 or 81GBP.
Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating.
If you are having trouble finding the rating button, please let me know!
Your question will NOT close after you leave rating.
Sincerely,
Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi Peter~
Thanks for the positive rating! Much Appreciated.
I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.
When you post a new question, please add "For Nora" or "Hi Nora" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you.
The only items I do not assess for value are clocks, coins, watches, sewing machines, swords and firearms.
Sincerely,
Nora