ncsunburst
ncsunburst, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antique Dealer
61108514

I HAVE A PIECE OF POTTERY, like a oval soap dish,with shaped

I HAVE A PIECE OF POTTERY, like a oval soap dish,with shaped sides,underneath a mark, zehk scherzew bavaria with small crown,before19c can you find out anything else.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  ncsunburst replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. If you can post a picture of the mark I can date your piece and give you a value. The company is actually 'Zeh, Scherzer & Co.'. Thanks Mike..If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer " OK SERVICE " or higher so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you. ..The company 'Zeh, Scherzer & Co.' was founded in 1880 and directly started to produce a wide range of pieces including coffee and tea sets, normal household items and tableware as well as decoration porcelain. Items made by the company at a time also caught the eye of the Geo. Borgfeldt & Co. company and during January 1907 and May 1908 'Zeh, Scherzer & Co.' produced a series of items exclusively for the company from New York, based on an agreement between Borgfeldt and Zeh who had met earlier. Being very successful in decoration porcelain, the company opened its own art department in 1908 and next to many other famous designers also Professor Fritz Klee (who later became director of the Königliche Fachschule in Selb) was employed as advisor.The resulting products were quite spectacular and even today remain a valuable addition to any art deco collection; next to figures of normal human beings, quite a remarkable number of animals and fantasy figures were produced over the years. Based on the ongoing success of the business and the drastic increase in sales after opening the art department, the company was changed into an limited company on October 7th 1910.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will try to send a photo if you like ?

Expert:  ncsunburst replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Yes Thank You that will be fine please send a photo. Thanks again Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to know about the crown,and how did the item arrive in the uk,would it have been part of set?
How much would it have cost to buy and what food should be served in it?
Expert:  ncsunburst replied 1 year ago.
Hi, The crown mark was used by a wide range of makers for Bavaria, The piece was probably exported to the UK, yes is was probably with a full set of china, The price for the piece back when it was made $50.00 for the whole set and would have been used for celery / relish or some type of condiments. Thanks Mike