ncsunburst
ncsunburst, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antique Dealer
61108514

I have obtained a large display clock with the name of Magneta

Customer Question

I have obtained a large display clock with the name of Magneta London on the front display.
It was hanging in a restaurant in Victoria London which was recently pulled down.
Would you have any information on the manufacturer.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  ncsunburst replied 2 years ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. Quite the clock and a piece of history. I listed the history below. I hope this helps you. Thanks Mike.If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer " OK SERVICE " or higher so I will be compensated by JustAnswer for helping you... Magneta Time Co of Goblin Works, Leatherhead, Surrey. Telephone: Ashtead 866. Cables: "Dial Phone, Leatherhead". London office at Haymarket, SW1. (1947)... T he M a g n e t a C o m p a n yZ ü r i c h , S w i t z e r l a n dM ANUFACTURERS OFELECTRIC CLOCKS W ITH O U TB A T T E R IE S O R C O N T A C T SE L E C T R I C TIM E S T A M P STIME R E C O R D IN G SYSTEM SBRANCHES : N e w Y ö r k , PARIS, LONDON, BERLIN T H E M A G N ETA CO M PA N Y ’SSYSTEM OFELECTRIC CLOCKSWITHOUT BATTERIES OR CONTACTSThe invention forming the basis of this system consists, as isfrequently the case with important developments, in theapplication of a very simple principle. It may almost beassumed as general knowledge, that the generation of electric current forlighting, motive Power and industrial purposes generally iseffected by induction, whereby a closed coil is brought into the sphereof a magnetic field (the respective position of the two bemg properlyarranged and disposed), this, the now historic discovery of Faraday,is the basis of all dynamo electric generators. This principle hasbeen applied by The Magneta Company to electric clock systems. Thefundamental quality of this method of producing electric currentis its certainty; whenever a closed coil is suddenly brought mto orwithdrawn from the influence of a magnetic field, then a current ofdefinite strength must always result. The clock which is destined to bethe master clock of the system, is provided with a magnetic inductorof special form, consistmg of an iron core placed within a fixed coil,and so arranged with respect to a permanent magnet that the corebecomes alternately magnetized and de-magnetized by a semi-rotation;once every minute, the master clock actuates this inductor, thusgenerating a momentary current, which passes into the circuit of thesecondary clocks, thus giving them an impulse, which takes placesynchronously with the movement of the inductor. The wires fromthe inductor are led away without interruption or break to thecircuit of the system with which the circuit of the inductor ispermanently joined.
Hi Robert, I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

Hi Robert , I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike

Hi , I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike