Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

I have a patterned silver (?) tray with 3 claw feet,

Customer Question

Hello. I have a patterned silver (?) tray with 3 claw feet, diameter 10½ inches. It is stamped on the back "A & J.SMITH" and below that an engraved number 856. I am questioning 'silver' as there are no hallmarks. Would it be EPNS? Thank you. Keith XXXX, Auckland, New Zealand

Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Keith,My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your silver tray.Could you very kindly attach a photo of it and one of the marks and I should be able to tell you a bit about it. You are right, though, without hallmarks it's more likely to be silver plate rather than solid silver.Many thanks and wait to hear.Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have attempted to attach 3 photos. Probably not very good especially the maker's mark. I described that earlier. The name appears to be etched in a rectangle three quarters of an inch by one eighth of an inch. The lovely circular pattern on the tray comprises flowers, leaves etc. The silver finish on the tray is immaculate. The tray was originally owned by my wife's step-grandmother. She was born in Aberdeen and it is estimated the tray would originally have been in her possession about 1915. Hope this helps to enable you to give me an estimate of its worth. Thank you.

Expert:  Robert S. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the extra information that helps and thanks for trying with the photos. Unfortunately they did not come through.You might find it easier to click onhttp://Www.imgur.comAnd hit upload images. and follow the simple instructions and copy and paste the link they give you to here where you are typing to me.Many thanks and wait to hear.Robert.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Robert,

Sorry, I couldn't get the imgur link to work. I have the 3 photos stored as 'photos' in 'my documents'. If you could give me an email address I could respond and include the photos as attachments.

Keith

Expert:  Robert S. replied 2 years ago.
Sorry you couldn't get the link to work. Try this:http://www/imgur.comThen click on "Upload Images"Click on "Browse Your Computer"It will automatically take you to where you have them filed in 'Photos' in 'My Documents'.Select the pictures you want to send me from the box that pops up.Hit "open".Click on "Start Upload" (and wait few seconds pictures to load)And then copy the link they give you. It will look similar to this http://www.imgur.com/xxxx and it's located right under where it says Image Linkand paste it here where you are typing to me.If you are still struggling, by all means email them, it just takes a little more time.Please send them to***@******.*** them for my attention, "Robert S." in the "Antiques" category so they know who to forward to.Emails have to go through a third party to protect everyone's privacy and can take a while to get to me (up to 24 hours). I work 'on' rather than 'for' JustAnswer as an independent agent.I'll get back to you as soon as I see them this end.Hope this helps.Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Robert. I think I have managed to upload the 3 photos to imgur. The link is http://imgur.com/migUhtS. Hope you can access OK.

Keith

Expert:  Robert S. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Keith. Yes! Well done! One image came through just fine.This one:http://imgur.com/migUhtS.Can you attach the other two. You'll need to copy and paste a link to each one.There is a way of bundling them all on one link (copy the link in the browser bar, top left of your screen once all the photos have uploaded) but it may be easier to just attach the link for each in this instance.Hope this makes sense.Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Robert. Sorry but I feel I've done more than enough with this issue which has gone on and on seemingly without any prospect of getting a valuation. I have now been given an estimation by a local antiques dealer which will suffice. In hindsight I've wasted NZ$49 which you charged at the outset.

Keith

Expert:  Robert S. replied 2 years ago.
I understand, Keith, no need to apologize. You won't be charged anything because you have not got an answer. However, you'll need to contact Customer Support to ask for the return of your good faith deposit.I work "on" but not "for" the site as an independent agent so I don't have access to your account to do the refund for you.Sorry not to be able to help. Without seeing the item and marks it's not fair on you for me to guess what you have. There are just too many unknowns of age, origin and artistic merit.Best wishesRobert