Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corproration
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have a painting by FMBennett1929 deplicting a scene outside

Customer Question

I have a painting by FMBennett1929 deplicting a scene outside a cobblers house with him and 2 gentlemen and 2 children looking through a window.
How much could this be worth?
***** *****
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.
If you see a rate me message and I have not given you an answer With the value you are not to rate anything.
Again, ignore any rate me messages until you see my answer with the value.

Thank you for the information about your painting.

I need three more pieces of information to give you an accurate assessment -

What is the medium - oil, watercolor, pastels, etc.

And what are the dimensions of your painting not including the frame.

If your painting is framed, please describe the frame.

I look forward to your reply.

Kind regards,

Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Doris

Oil Paint

20" X 15"

Antique guilt

Thank You

Anthony

Thank you for all the information.
First I will give you information about the artist -

Frank Moss Bennett 1874-1952

"Frank Moss Bennett was born in Liverpool in 1874, he was the second eldest of four sons. His father by trade was an iron founder. As a child Frank was educated at home with his brothers. He then went on to Browns House at Clifton College in Bristol.

Even at an early age Frank's talent for art was clearly showing.

He moved to London to study at The Slade School of Art. In 1894 he then went to The St. Johns Wood School of Art to further his studies.

On the 4th February 1896 he was accepted into the Royal Academy School of Art where in 1899 he won the coveted Gold Medal for his work along with a travel scholarship. His works have been displayed at the Royal Academy.

He trained in oils and water colors and there was very little that Frank could not paint, he was at this stage a very accomplished artist.

He married in 1907 a society beauty named Margaret Pellew and they had two children, Barbara & Edward.

He specialized in portrait painting at first, and during and after the 1914-1918 war painted many posthumous portraits. He then extended his works to genre paintings ( many showing the Elizabethan period), these were to be the works that he is most remembered for, both commercially and privately. His water color paintings were also much sought after and he gave several exhibitions in throughout England. From 1912 he also exhibited at The Paris Salon, a show case for artists.

In later life he moved to a farm in Devon where he continued to paint until the day he died, 23rd February 1952."*

His works are becoming very popular again and are sold at auction.
The prints of his works are also worth collecting.

* Extracts from my book Frank Moss Bennett 1874-1952 The Forgotten Artist
* Text Copyright Maureen Elizabeth Son 2006

When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.
We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.

Using this method, I determined that your 20 x 15" 1929 painting by Frank Moss Bennett
with its antique gilt frame has an estimated retail art gallery value of $18,000-20,000 assuming good condition.

A private seller to a dealer can expect 40-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

If you would like to work with me on future questions, I would be pleased to work with you.
All you have to do is put my name (Doris) at the beginning of your question.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
Thank you so much for the positive rating. If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “Doris” at the first of the question.

Thank you again.