Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner, Appraisals Corproration
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

M&W plate with crown, lion and a capital 0, made up as a gift

Customer Question

M&W plate with crown, lion and a capital 0, made up as a gift for my father in 1962, 14" diameter. What value?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.
If you see a rate me message and I have not given you an answer With the value you are not to rate anything.
Again, ignore any rate me messages until you see my answer with the value.

You are asking about a sterling silver plate that was given to your father in 1962.

May I have a photo of the plate please? I need to know what it looks like to properly assess it.

To send photos you may use the "attach" or "add" link or paper clip you see on your reply page.

If none is there, then you may use the free internet photo site
imgur.com Use the following instructions:

Go to http://www.imgur.com

a. Click "Computer"
b. Find the photo file on your computer that you want to send
c. Click open on the file
d. You will see a Start Upload link on the imgur.com page.
Click on it
e. Your image will appear on the screen
f. Highlight and copy the address link under Direct Link
to the right on the imgur page
g. Paste that link into your reply box on Just Answer

Do the stamped marks have a point at the bottom?

Was the plate new when given to your father?

The reason I am asking these last two questions is that I am trying to date the plate. There is a capital date letter "O" for both 1931 and 1956.

Kind regards,

Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will enclose the plate photo. As you may not be able to see it is engraved with his name and the role for which he was presented the plate with, plus 14 signatures of council members. And the year 1962.The hallmarks are v difficult to photograph but they are all encased in five sided shapes with the point facing down.I find it hard to believe it wasn't new when he got it.

Thank you for all the information and clear photo.

Please allow me time to research your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

Doris
Mark,
Your tray was made in 1956 by Mappin & Webb of Sheffield, UK. It is sterling silver - .925 or 92.5% silver which is the sterling standard for the UK.
The date is not unusual as your tray could have been in a store in back inventory for while.
It was "new" when it was engraved.
The style is Chippendale.
If it were not engraved, it would have a retail vintage store of $1400. One must reduce the retail value by 20% because of the engraving.
While it is a family treasure to you, most buyers would not want the engraving.
The engraving can be machined buffed out but that leaves a thin tray and still would reduce the value.

So the true retail vintage store value is $1120 or 718.13 GBP at today's rate.

A private seller to a dealer can expect 40-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

If you would like to work with me on future questions, I would be pleased to work with you.
All you have to do is put my name (Doris) at the beginning of your question.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thankyou Doris,

You have been most helpful!

Mark Brinkley

Cambridge UK

You are welcome.
Thank you so much for the positive rating.

Kind regards,
Doris