ncsunburst
ncsunburst, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antique Dealer
61108514

Rare book valuation

Customer Question

I have book titled Book of Jashar 1840 Description M M Noah & A S Gould New York 1840, book condition good.I have come across two books the same as mine valued over 5000 pounds. Can anyone assist me to price my book ?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  ncsunburst replied 2 years ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. I have 2 pictures that you can look at and tell me if this is the book you have. This is a very scarce book quite rare. Thanks Mike
Hi, Here is the second picture. Thanks Mike
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes my page is exactly that face page but my cover is dark green cloth hard back with pressed scrolls and gold text on the spine.
Hi, Does the books binding look likes its been replaced or recovered because the first editions of this book are calf leather? Thanks Mike
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think it may be a second edition then as it has an Advertisement to the second edition in it.
It had etched in the pressing Colton & Jenkins Binders
I was given the impression it was a first American addition ??
Sorry I want to send images but I can't seem to add them.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=9309485920&clickid=1LAWIgVU2T0XUsuzIeSshVonUkX3KsUlGVeLxk0&cm_mmc=aff-_-ir-_-59419-_-77797&ref=imprad59419&afn_sr=impact
Hope you can open the link
This is identical with the same cover.
I found this link my book seems in better condition from her discription
Hi, I found that there were 2 different first edition printings of this book. The values of these book are from $7600.00 to $11,500.00 US dollars depending on condition. Very nice book you have. I hope this helps you. Thanks Mike.. If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer" OK SERVICE " or higher so I will be compensated by JustAnswerfor helping you... First three words of title transliterated from Hebrew.Preface signed: M.M. Noah. New-York, April, 1839.Copyright 1840 by Mordecai M. Noah & Alexander S. Gould."Alex. S. Gould, typographer, 144 Nassau-Street. Stereotyped by R.C. Valentine, 45 Gold-Street."--T.p. verso.Binding signed: Colton & Jenkins binders.Printed in two columns.Last page blank.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Wow want to buy it ūüėÄ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have two other rare books that I need help with ? Rosicrucian books
The Greater Mysteries Volume 1 and 2 arrange ltd by Colonius V the supreme Hierarch of the council of seven
Privately printed for The Royal Fraternity association, bidders in poor condition. Do I have pay you or do I post as a new question ?
New to this site
Thank you Mike
Hi, No I'm not allowed to buy anything from customers even that I have my own shop. You have to post a new question but you can put my name at the front of your question and I'll try to help you with those books. Thanks Mike
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you help me to sell the book, I am not greedy so a nice lower than value price is all I would want as I can't see anyone would want to buy it at the possible valuation price.
Hi, Sorry it is against company policy to sell customers items plus I live in the USA. Thanks Mike