Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a blue and white plate 35.5 cm diameter with a central

I have a blue and white plate 35.5 cm diameter with a central design of a beautiful naturalistic spray which I think may be a combination of features from several flowers.
round the edge of the flat part of the plate is a garland of leaves and berries. Round the wide rim is a bold continuous frieze of stylised leaves and linking loops. On the back of the plate is a device in the form of a shield with a crown on the top and foliage around the bottom. Next to the crown is a device looking like a knotched knife piercing a rectangle which could be a hand guard or a small piece of wood. This whole device is about 5cm square. on the shield is something like this 9:RetNGU.i
The plate is pottery, or earthenware or something else but not fine china or porcelain. It has a good glaze and the decorations are in strong and medium blue and fine lines of leaf veins or shading in paler blue. I have no information about the provenance but I only know that my parents in law could have had the plate since their marriage in 1919 and I inherited it when they died. Can you give me any clues to the age and place of manufacture of this plate?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Please add a photo of the plate and the marks on the bottom. You can do this by using the ADD FILES button towards the bottom right of your screen.Please give me a chance to answer the question fully once I have seen photos. Please do not rate me until then.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I cannot send a photograph, could you give me an opinion without this ?

Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.
The two items that the description brings to mind is English Delft and English Transferware. Two entirely different things, but Delft was not usually marked and transferware was, so I added that to the mix. Antiques are visual, so the best I can do with the limit of not having a photo is to tell you to go to Google, choose the word 'images' on that page and put the words English Delft Plate in the search and do the same with English Blue transferware plate. There is also a maker that made a Delft-style of plate from 1890-1920 in Holland named Petrous Regout, they had a crown and sphinx mark with the word P.Regout. I add this as an option because of the 9:RetNGU.i mentioned sounds like REGOUT. Take a look closely at your plate and the mark. Let me know anything strikes a chord with your plate.