Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have a pastel / colour chalk painting titled "The Clipper

Customer Question

I have a pastel / colour chalk painting titled "The Clipper Aerial" signed P Ryan and on the surround it gives the artists full name as Patrick Ryan.
I can find no UK artist of that name doing this type of work and wonder if it could be by the American artist of that name who also did impressionist paintings using the name Henri Plisson.Tha picture is very high quality and not amatuer in any way.
Kind regards,
Michael Lamb
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.I will be pleased to help you.Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls. I must research data to give the most accurate answer.Besides there are extra system charges to you for live conversations. I do believe your painting could be by the American-born impressionistic artist Henri Plisson.He often worked in pastels. Please send me a photo of your pastel so that I may compare styles.To send photos you may use the "attach" or "add" link or "paper clip" you see on your reply page. I also need the sight dimensions of your painting not including the frame. Kind regards,DorisPS: Meanwhile, please don't rate me until you get a full appraisal and a value from me. I mention this because you may get random prompts asking you to rate me before I've submitted an answer. Ignore them. They are automatically generated by the system (it doesn't seem to be able to distinguish an answer from preparatory back-and-forth and information gathering) and don't come from me.Thanks, Doris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Doris, Thanks for your prompt reply.Dimensions are:-16 x12 inches.Unable to attach pictures using the suggested method but can try again ifyou will accept them by email rather than through the"just answer "site. Kind reards,

Michael Lamb

Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
JA rules do not allow the exchange of personal emails; however, there is an email method.See:This is the official explanation of how to send photos via email:Please follow the questions exactly or they will not get to me.Send the picture to,***@******.*** the subject line put " Pictures for˜Doris in Antiques or Appraisals.".In the body of the message put, your user name and name..Make sure to send these from the same address that you registered withJust Answer,so they can verify who you are.This method takes longer because the photos are sent to the Just Answertechs who must forward them to me. It sometimes takes as long as 24 hours..They will forward them to me and as soon as I get them I will contact you.Kind regards,Doris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Doris,

Thanks for the help. I will do as you sugest.

Kind regards, ***** *****

Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
Just follow the directions exactly.Kind regards,Doris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Doris, The time is 4.40 pm gmt on Monday 21 September and I will be away on business until Wednesday evening and unable to receive messages. I only mention this incase you contact me and would otherwise think I was being rude in not respoinding.

Kind regards,

Michael Lamb

Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
I have not received your images yet.Please resend following these directions exactly. Otherwise they will not get to me.Please send your photos the email method.This is the official explanation of how to send photos via email:Please follow the questions exactly or they will not get to me.Send the picture to,***@******.*** the subject line put " Pictures for˜Doris in Antiques or Appraisals.".In the body of the message put, your user name and name..Make sure to send these from the same address that you registered withJust Answer,so they can verify who you are.This method takes longer because the photos are sent to the Just Answertechs who must forward them to me. It sometimes takes as long as 24 hours..They will forward them to me and as soon as I get them I will contact you.Kind regards,DorisPS:Site Trouble -This is what I have been told by representatives of the site:"Customers can experience issues with the site, their computer, their knowledge of how to use the internet, etc.Anytime a customer is having trouble with the site, please indicate to them that they can go to http://ww2.justanswer.com/help for assistance. They have an option in the upper right corner for contacting the Customer Service department via email, chat, or phone. Customer service is trained to assist them, and to report any customer-facing issues that may be site-related."
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Doris, This time I have sent the picture to [email protected] answer.com

Here's hoping.

Kind regards,

MIchael

Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.
Michael.
I received your photos,

Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

Doris

PS: Meanwhile, please don't rate me until you get a full appraisal and a value from me. I mention this because you may get random prompts asking you to rate me before I've submitted an answer. Ignore them. They are automatically generated by the system (it doesn't seem to be able to distinguish an answer from preparatory back-and-forth and information gathering) and don't come from me.

Thanks, Doris
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Michael,
From the style of your painting, it is indeed a Scottish painter , Patrick Ryan dating (1908-2006). It is not the style of the artist with the assumed name Henri Plisson.

When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.
We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.

Using this method fro your pastel by Patrick Ryan, I was able to determine that your pastel has an auction value of $288.

This means a retail art gallery would charge about $600-650 for your pastel.

Selling art:

The internet has your widest pool of buyers. To sell close to retail try the following -

I suggest the you try artbrokerage.com selling

https://www.artbrokerage.com/help/selling-art

Plus try ads on sites such as

http://www.rubylane.com/art

http://www.askart.com/Ads_Individual.aspx

https://www.artnet.com/auctions/all-artworks/?utm_campaign=bannerad&utm_source=080514auctionsevergreen&utm_medium=link

http://www.artvalue.com

Some like Etsy.com where you can set up your store for free and the selling fees are small or not existent.

A private seller to a dealer can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.
Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Doris,

Your answer was of great help as I wanted to know who the artist was and I now know name, nationality and d.o.b.By the way I have no wish to sell the painting as I enjoy it so much. It cost me £130

Thanks for your help

Kind regards,

MIchael Lamb