Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner, Appraisals Corproration
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

Can you help me to identify a makers mark on a piece of silver

Can you help me to identify a makers mark on a piece of silver (Stirrup Cup) that is marked with the mark .925 and a portrait, wearing a crown in profile, I can see a photo.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.I will be pleased to help you.Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls. I must research data to give the most accurate answer.Besides there are extra system charges to you for live conversations.Please send your photos.You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.To send photos you may use the "attach" or "add" link or "paper clip" you see on your reply page. Kind regards,DorisPS: Meanwhile, please don't rate me until you get a full appraisal and a value from me. I mention this because you may get random prompts asking you to rate me before I've submitted an answer. Ignore them. They are automatically generated by the system (it doesn't seem to be able to distinguish an answer from preparatory back-and-forth and information gathering) and don't come from me.Thanks, Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Doris
I look forward to your answer.
I have enclosed the photo of the mark.
Regards.
Phil.
I do not see the mark in your photo.Kind regards,Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I down loaded four photos, but perhaps the system only sent the first one, I will try again.
The first photo I saw was of the entire cup.The second one was a rather blurred photo of the mark.Please try again to send the other two photos.Thank you,Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took the photos down the lens of a microscope, I will try again , but failing that, the next best option would be a drawing.
Kind regards.
Phil.
I received a second photo of the mark.Let me see if I can work with that.Kind regards,Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doris.
Try this for a sketch !
Regards.
Phil.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And here's the last photo of the mark that you haven't seen yet, hope this helps.
Regards.
Phil.
Thank you so very much for all your efforts.Your mark is that for Latvian ( from Latvia) early - mid 20thC.The 925, as you probably know, stands for the sterling standard used for 92.5% silver. Other metals making up the 7.5% must be added for strength because 100% pure silver is too soft.Your unique stirrup cup has a retail vintage store value of $1150-1300 assuming good condition.Please note there is a reason I use 925 in my Just Answer name. Silver is one of my specialties.A private seller to a dealer can expect 30-60% of retail value.I hope I have helped you.If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you. Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.Kind regards.Doris
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doris.
Thank you ever so much for your help, you have been marvellous. So to sum up, made in Latvia, unknown maker, dated circa 1900 to 1950. Would I be able to ever identify the maker, if I were to search info on Latvian silver ?
I will return to you, the highest possible rating, because you have been a super help, and so quickly ! I have spent days researching this so far, and have drawn a blank until now, so I can't thank you enough.
Kindest regards.
Phil.
Thank you so much for your positive rating and bonus.I have over 100 books on silver. I doubt you will find the maker for your piece. Small items are often just marked with the bare minimum requirements.Kind regards,Doris
You may want to ask for a refund from Just Answer for your other question about this stirrup cup. The numbers to call are :US/Canada1.***-***-****Available 6am to 9pm PST International Australia1800-679-634New Zealand0800-452-621United Kingdom0***-***-****The rest of the world1-***-***-**** Kind regards,Doris