Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have 91 pieces of an Alfred Meakin china pattern

Customer Question

I have 91 pieces of an Alfred Meakin china pattern that I cannot identify. It is white with a double gold line trim (the outer line is much thicker than the inner line). I could send photos. The mark on the back is green and has "Alfred Meakin" going round the top, a crown in the centre and "England" at the bottom. There is no "Ltd." on it. I would like to know the pattern name and value.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Please add a photo of the set, pattern and any marks on the bottom of one piece. You can do this by using the paper clip icon or the ADD FILES button.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I'm attaching several photos and the mark.

Looking forward to finding out what this is!!!

Best regards,

Karen

Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Karen,
This set of Alfred Meakin (Tunstall, Staffordshire, England) china was made between 1905 and 1913 based on this particular mark. Technically, the company was Alfred Meakin Ltd at that time but did not add it to their mark until later. This pattern did not have a name or an assigned pattern number but is a crisp white china with a double gold edge, classic in any time period.
A set of 91 pieces has a current value of $500 to $600 us dollars retail.
Please do click the stars to rate me, thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for the answer. Was it common for china makers to not assign a pattern number or name? This might go in my favour as I may now call it "rare". I have been scouring the internet for weeks trying to find it and that pattern is just not there. We have many of the accessory pieces and almost a complete setting for 12.

Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

No, it was actually very common to not have a name on a pattern and does not make yours rare at all. That began to come into favor when companies realized they could highlight a set with a name and charge a premium for that pattern. In general Alfred Meakin china is considered of lower grade than other English makers of the same time like Minton and Coalport, for example.

Please click the stars at this time. A positive rating is the only way that I get compensated for time.