Glenda B. Appraiser
Glenda B. Appraiser, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience buying and selling antiques as a collector and 14+ yrs. as antique store owner. Member of Association of Online Appraisers and AADA.
53729464

Glenda! My uncle has just given me a Charles Catteau vase and I wondered if you could

Hi Glenda!
My uncle has just given me a Charles Catteau vase and I wondered if you could give me some idea of how much it is worth so I can get it insured?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. Appraiser replied 1 year ago.
Hello, PLEASE DO NOT RATE THIS UNTIL AN ANSWER HAS BEEN GIVEN. EVEN IF YOU GET EMAILS PROMPTING A RATING. I mention this because you may get random prompts asking you to rate me before I've submitted an answer. Ignore them. They are automatically generated by the system (it doesn't seem to be able to distinguish an answer from preparatory back-and-forth and information gathering) and don't come from me. Brief Explanation of how the appraisers work on Just Answer for you. The appraisers, do not work for the just answer site, we come to the site to answer questions customers ask there. We do not send customers any messages through email. We only communicate with a customer in this message box. We do not send emails asking for anything. After we type a communication to you, you get notified by the site we sent you a message. Just like when you send us a response we get notified so we come to this message area to respond to you. Please Note: I am sorry I am unable to do live conversation per phone. There is data that needs to be obtained, this is always best in written form, in order to give a correct, honest appraisal. Can you send a picture of this, and what size is it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a couple of photos. How do I send them to you? I am at work so can't take the exact measurements but it's about 35 cm (a bit over a foot) tall.
Here are instructions for sending images several ways, you can choose which one best fits you , be sure it is uploaded to your computer,.xIf you do not see the blue button that states attach file at the bottom of your page here are instructions to upload images !xClick the link: for instructions on uploading images xhttp://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert.x Or you may use this method:.xGo to www.imgur.com.xclick on Computer.xSelect the picture file from the box that pops up..xHit open..xClick on Start Upload.xAnd then copy the link they give you (it will look similar to this http://www.imgur.com/xxxx) and paste it here.x.x.x.x.x.xxThis a completely free photo hosting site, it does not cost one thing to use it.xhttp://www.photobucket.com/ it is very easy to use, you log in, create an account , make a user name, do not use an email address as user name , then upload your pictures, making them public, then come give me your user name, I have an account and can log into them and see them...x.xxOr:Send them like this: In an Email! This can take awhile depending on how busy they are at Just answer, they do forward them to me. .x.xSend the picture to ,***@******.***, in the subject line put " Pictures for Glenda B in Antiques".x.xxIn the body of the message put , your user name and name.x.xxMake sure to send these from the same address that you registered with just answer with , so they know who you are. If you send from a phone the email address on the phone you use has to match the email address you used to register on the justanswer site with.x.xx.xx Sometimes it can take over 24hrs, depending on how busy the site is. We the appraisers are not employees of the Just Answer site, we come to the site to answer questions, we do not work there. They get photos in from customers, they then send them to the correct departments ( categories, ) then they are forwarded to the appraisers. I have no control over how fast all of this happens. I will let you know as soon as they send them to me.x xxGlenda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Glenda

I am at work so I have emailed you the two photos - my company is very fussy about using unknown websites and often they don't work properly.

Liz

HelloI totally understand that. I will let you know as soon as they forward the pictures to me.Glenda

The Charles Catteau Vase has a current insurance value of $4***-**-****.00. If you decided to sell this, keep in mind that not all values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.

You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.

If you have any further questions or problem about your answer, please reply to me before deciding to leave a negative rating, which does effect my job.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name ( Glenda ) at the beginning of your question.

Please keep in mind I am only compensated from the site for my answer, if you rate me positively.

You do so immediately following this answer by clicking one of the top two Smiles, or Stars depending which one you see on your answer! Please let me know if you rate this answer, if it did not go through then I can take appropriate measures to make sure I am credited for this. Thanks for letting me know.

Thank you so much!
Glenda

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your valuation and all the other information that you have provided. I am not intending to sell it because it was a present from my uncle but your ideas about how to sell it are extremely helpful. I am based in London UK but I assume that the valuation is applicable here as well as in the USA, especially if I were to sell it via Etsy or some other internet site which is effectively international.

I just have one further question, how can I print out this Q&A session so that I can keep the valuation for future reference?

HelloYes, the value is a world wide value, you could sell it there or the US at that price.In order to print this out, I think you can put your cursor over the area where you want to print, then click your right mouse button click select all. Then you will need to click copy, then you need to paste that into a word document or you can paste it into the body of an email message, and email it to yourself. That is what I do. It is much easier. You can also click print screen on your key board, and it will print it all I believe.If you have any further questions or problem about your answer, please reply to me before deciding to leave a negative rating, which does effect my job.If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name ( Glenda ) at the beginning of your question.Please keep in mind I am only compensated from the site for my answer, if you rate me positively.You do so immediately following this answer by clicking one of the top two Smiles, or Stars depending which one you see on your answer! Please let me know if you rate this answer, if it did not go through then I can take appropriate measures to make sure I am credited for this. Thanks for letting me know.Thank you so much!Glenda
Hi, I'm just checking in to see how things are going. Let me know if you still need help!"
If there was a problem with the answer I provided for you?
.
Thank you so much!
Glenda
Glenda B. Appraiser, Antiques Appraiser
Experience: 40+ yrs. experience buying and selling antiques as a collector and 14+ yrs. as antique store owner. Member of Association of Online Appraisers and AADA.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Glenda

Thanks for all your help. My apologies for a late reply but I have been at work today and didn't get home until late.

There is no need to reply to this. I am very happy with your help and have given you an Excellent service rating.

Thanks and regards

Liz

You are welcome, if you need anything else feel free asking for " Glenda " I would love to help you again.

Glenda