Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corproration
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

Tiger brand pottery tankard made by Bengal Potteries Ltd 1956

Tiger brand pottery tankard made by Bengal Potteries Ltd 1956 with a bird and bottle on side - P&Co on the bottle. Origin?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.I will be pleased to help you.Kind regards,DorisPS: Meanwhile, please don't rate me until you get a full appraisal and a value from me. I mention this because you may get random prompts asking you to rate me before I've submitted an answer. Ignore them. They are automatically generated by the system (it doesn't seem to be able to distinguish an answer from preparatory back-and-forth and information gathering) and don't come from me.Thanks, Doris
You may already know this history of Bengal Potteries, Ltd., but just in case you do not, I will include it here.You did ask for the origin of your tankard."A small factory known as the Calcutta Pottery Works was set up in 1905 at 45, Tangra Road, Calcutta by the Maharaja of Cossimbazar and his friends for the manufacture of porcelain toys. The factory was not able to work economically and eventually a company was incorporated-Bengal Potteries Limited-as a limited company, in 1919. From 1919 to 1934 the company produced some toys and low-tension insulators and a small amount of crockery. It had around 600 workers and soon ran into financial problems.M.G. Bhagat, a well-known ceramist, was working at the Gwalior Potteries in Delhi, as the Chief Executive, sometime in 1925 and was there till early 1934. In those days Gwalior Potteries made attractive vases, figures, jars and some tableware. The factory had circular Bottle Kilns. The basic products were attractive vases, stoneware jars and some tableware. The products made by Gwalior Potteries were sold mostly North India, particularly in and around Delhi. In 1934, M.G. Bhagat, a few associates and friends, purchased the controlling interest in Bengal potteries and took up an expansion, diversification and product development programme.M.G. Bhagat then went abroad and arranged for modern equipment, such as tunnel kilns, for the first time to be installed in India. Just before the World War started some of the equipment reached India and the company was able to increase its production of insulators and crockery during the war period, thus supplying its products to Government Departments and the public at large. The company continued to expand its production, increase its workforce and prosper. G.K. Bhagat, his successor and the executive Director of the company, received his Masters Degree in Ceramic Engineering in the U.S.A. and worked in various factories in the U.S.A. before joining the company in 1951-'52.Under his guidance the company introduced for the first time in India the production of fine earthenware and bone china, this becoming the first pottery to produce bone china. In 1958, the company undertook a substantial expansion and set up a second factory in Calcutta, producing fine earthenware and high tension and low-tension insulators. Bengal Potteries supplied crockery to the domestic market and also to hotels and the hospitality industry. The brand image of Bengal Potteries became very well known in India and at one time, controlled almost 80% of the market of tableware, produced by the organized sector. Unfortunately by the late seventies the pottery had to close down. "Your tankard was made after 1934 about the time the chief executive officer acquired tunnel kilns capable of making tankards but I feel strongly that your tankard was made just before the firm established a second factory in Calcutta to produce crockery for, among other venues, the hospitality industry. That fits well with tankard wares.Often the hotel, bar, restaurant or even department store for which crockery and fine china were made would have their own ID marks along with the makers mark. The patterns used for such purposes were unique to venue for which they were made. Although I do not know which venue P&C stands for, it is the ID for the venue.Tankards such as yours sell for about $110-125.A private seller to a dealer can expect 30-60% of retail value.I hope I have helped you.If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you. Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.Kind regards.Doris
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.