Wayne
Wayne, Auctioneer
Experience:  40 yrs. experience in antiques, jewelry, coins and paintings - ASA 1985
67223111

I have an african mask. I'd like to know more about it

Customer Question

Hi, I have an african mask. I'd like to know more about it and have it valued. I've not seen anything else like it on my internet searches. I bought it in Zanzibar in 2006, the seller told me it came from Mali. It's been wrapped in bubble wrap ever since and still smells of wood smoke! It has straw on the head, and a woven string backing which has a hole in it. Animal bone, shells and braiding. The face is wooden but has metal nose and mouth. Could you tell me where I can find out more information about it and get it valued?
Thanks,
Anne
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, how best to display it and protect it?
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Shantal,Could you carry on looking, please?Anne
Hello Anne,
Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
However, should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Hello Anne,
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?
Hello Anne,
Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can return your good faith deposit to the original funding source.
Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Hi,My name is***** have been buying, selling and appraising antiques and art work since 1970.Can you post a photo of this?1.Click the paperclip icon2.Click the Browse icon3.Click the Browse button4.Select your file and click Open5.Click OK6.Click Insert7.Click Save Changes on this pagehttp://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Wayne,Here are some photos as requested.Anne
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Hi,This mask was done by the Kuba people in the Congo. This is early 20th century, decorated with Wood, fiber, encrustation, glass beads, cowrie shells and old palm leafs. Retail value is $800-1200.Thank you!Wayne
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Wayne. That's amazing to think it is that old! Do you know what it represents? Is there anything I can do to protect it, apart from putting it in a glass display cabinet, to preserve it?Anne
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Wayne,Could you possibly answer the above two questions then I will submit feedback and rating to clos out this query?regards,Anne
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Hi,If you keep this behind glass It will stay nice, although most people display these on a stand. These were used, so they are pretty tough and not that fragile.. This is considered a Royal mask. Here is a link to a good article. http://www.randafricanart.com/kuba_Mukenga.htmlThanks,Wayne
Wayne, Auctioneer
Experience: 40 yrs. experience in antiques, jewelry, coins and paintings - ASA 1985
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wayne,Thanks very much for your response and the article - fantastic! It's really great to know a bit more about it. Guess I should insure it then! 5 stars from me!