Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

I have a piece of ,I think, Chinese pottery.Would you be able

I have a piece of ,I think, Chinese pottery.Would you be able to identify and date it from the makers mark and a photograph?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Graham,My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help identify and date your Chinese pottery.Could you very kindly go ahead and add the photos here at your convenience and give me the dimensions of the piece.Once you have the photos in your computer, it's a simple matter to attach them. Just click on the paperclip icon, located above the text box where you are typing to me. If there's no paperclip, click on the "Add files" tab.If you get stuck go here for help.Many thanks and wait to hear.Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Robert photos attached:
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the helpful photos, I can see what you have.Do you have another photo showing the other side? I can just make out a tree?Also, can you give me approximate height?Many thanks,Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry not in at the moment ,I think it is about 7 or 8 inches high . I can send you accurate measurements later Regards ***** *****
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
That's okay, Graham, I'll assume it's 5 - 7" tall. If very different, let me know.Thanks for the excellent additional photo, that's really helpful.This is an example of Chinese blue & white export ware, sold through Hong Kong, and dates to the third quarter of the 20th century, circa 1960s.We can tell the date from the style of decoration, particularly the large lucky shou symbol 壽(for longevity) which takes up one whole panel, a fashionable way of presenting it at that time, and from the type and style of the mark on the base. This is a four character mark which alludes to a much older period, that of the emperor Qianlong. The Qianlong reign was 1736 -1795, but these are what are known as apocryphal marks, a tribute to the imperial porcelain makers of old, rather than a deliberate attempt to pass the piece off as being of the period.The mark reads:乾隆年製Qianlong Nian ZhiWhich translates as "Qianlong Period Made"When Qianlong reign marks are applied like this as a printed stamp (rather than hand painted as they would have been, if of the period) and enclosed in a single blue line like this, it usually denotes the 1960s or 1970s.The depiction of a crane standing on a rock out of which is growing a gnarly pine tree is a great favorite in the Asian decorative arts. It is supposed to represent a mythical location in Chinese folklore called Penglai island where the Buddhist immortals live and all the animals and birds (like the crane) are white. The crane is considered a sacred bird, symbol of long life and fidelity as they mate for life and traditionally are believed to live for a thousand years. The pine symbolizes perseverance and longevity too.As for value, sadly this era of Chinese ceramics has not been blessed with the same collector interest as the pre-1950s examples have recently and prices are not that great yet. This may change, but for the time being, your vase would have a retail value (if you saw it for sale in a vintage or antique store) of about $40. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.I do hope this helps!Best wishes,Robert PS. If there's anything more I can help you with on this, please don't hesitate to ask. If not, could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do. And if you have another item you'd like to ask me about, just start a new Question and put "For Robert S....." in the subject line. Thanks, R.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Robert for your reply I have just been informed by my wife that this was not the one she wanted valuing ! Can I send you details of another one?
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Yes by all means. Please go ahead and add the photos:
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pot including kid is 6 inches tall and 5.25inches in diameter
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Aha! This is a much more interesting piece, and worth a little more than the first one.Thanks for the photos.Again, this is emphatically Chinese, known as Cantonese polychrome export porcelain. The design is called "rose medallion" that became popular in the west from the mid-1800s into the 1930s. Called "rose medallion" because the center of plates and bowls decorated in this pattern would have a medallion that invariably had a rose or magenta-colored flower, similar to all the 'roses' in the rest of the pattern. Technically, these were not roses, but tree peony blossoms, known as mudan in Chinese which is particularly auspicious in the east as it symbolizes happiness, loyalty, longevity and eternal beauty.However, what sets this apart from the usual rose medallion piece is the wonderfully decorative lappet band of pak choi leaves, known here in the west as the "rose medallion cabbage leaf" pattern.The enamels are typical of a type known as famille rose (or fencai as the Chinese call it) characterized by the chalky magenta color and other opaque colors often applied as a paste in raised relief. The mark on the base is an early Qing dynasty imperial seal, written in zhuanshu (archaic seal script) for the emperor Yongzheng (1723-1735)It reads:大清雍正年製or "Da Qing Yong-zheng Nian Zhi" which translates as "made in the reign of Emperor Yongzheng of the great Qing dynasty".However, as before, this is not of the period. This is another stamped (not hand painted) mark and that little figure 8 in a square indicates it was decorated in "Factory 8" in Canton, sometime in the mid-20th century, probably 1950s but no earlier.Even though it's a vintage reproduction piece, this pattern is sought after and if you saw your jar for sale in an antique store specializing in Asian porcelain, it would have a full retail value of $300.Expect to get 30% - 40% of this if you were to sell at auction or on line (eBay etc).I do hope this helps!Best wishes,Robert