Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

I am back and have several small pieces from an old

Hi I am back and have several small pieces from an old suitcase that my friend's aunt left and we just sorted through. First off are three pieces of probably costume jewellery which I will photograph and send you with this question. On the open reverse
of each piece is written/incised in handwriting not stamp, "Depose R.J." Now I know that is the patent mark for France but can not find any reference to R.J. I think the mounts are rolled gold but being probably French there is no marking of any sort to go
by. Second piece is a bit of Napoleon Bonaparte souvenir 'tat' with, as you will see is a paper knife (?) It is I think base metal not silver and has a small bust of MN.B. which, from records, seems to be from the 1870,s portraits of him with the different
shaped helmet - is it worth putting on a web site like eBay or into my stock, and for about how much? Lastly there are two coins: the first is as shown, Victoria in a rolled gold setting, dated 1899 but upside down to my way of thinking, any idea why it is
that way up and is it worth more than scrap? The last is, I believe, a gaming token with George III and a strange piece of plaiting which I do not know if it is human or horse hair. So, that should keep you busy, and I would appreciate any help you can give
me, and thank you for the reply to my Breton Bowl, it was very helpful Carol
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Carol,Welcome back and thanks for the new Q.I'd be happy to help with these items. Let's split them up into a couple or three separate questions, if you don't mind, as I get paid by JustAnswer by the question (I work 'on' but not 'for' the site as an independent agent).Meanwhile, please go ahead whenever you are ready and attach the photos of the French costume jewelry.Best wishes,Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh OK, that is fine, I understand but have sent off all the photos with the entire question. As it looks like you did not get them i will try again and do the same with individual questions for the others.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will you come back to me after each lot as I can not see a separate 'next question' button so will wait for you to be ready for a 'new' question - is that OK?
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Yes that's fine, or just hit the "new" question tab and put "For Robert S....." in the subject line and it will be sure to get to me.Thanks for the photos of the pendants, now I see what you have. The cameo profile looks like it has the sort of soft edges you see in those made of a cast resin material such as celluloid (aka "French ivory) or does it look carved to you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ooops, didn't look hard enough and you can just see the clear glue that has been used to stick the resin cameo to the backing.
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for confirming that, I suspected this was a molded cameo. Despite that, there's some honourable age history to these pendants. The use of the word "Déposé" meaning registered or copyrighted, came to prominence in about 1900. It was used in Italy as well as France so one has to be careful about calling everything thus marked as "French" though in this case, these are almost certainly from that country.The other interesting thing about these is that they are in the style of mourning jewelry (or semi-mourning) that became highly fashionable from the late 1800s and through the first decade or so of the 20th century. There was a complicated scale of blackness, if you will, that one was supposed to wear according to the severity and time since the bereavement and this white cameo on a black ground, with a white margin would be considered 'semi-mourning'.This was also the time when synthetic ivory substitutes started to appear, like celluloid (marketed as "French Ivory" or "Ivorine") and gutta-percha -all plastic-resin-like materials based on naturally occurring substances that were easy to mold and model in all sorts of intricate shapes.So, even though these pieces may have been considered fake at the time, they actually have some modest collector value now, and added to which there is a collector following for mourning jewelry, per se, if it's of the period which this most certainly is.As such, I would give your French belle epoque era Ivorine cameo on gutta percha pendant an auction or on line (eBay etc) value of about ‎£30 -‎£40 . Full retail/retail/replacement value of‎ £80.The other two you could sell as DIY cameo frame pendants for ‎£5 - $7 each.I do hope this helps!Best wishes,Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brilliant, and just what I hoped for information-wise. Thank you so much. Hope you can help with the next one which I have already posted.
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, thanks, ***** ***** seen it and responded. R
Experience: Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.