Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

S..... I have a base metal paper knife with

FOR ROBERT S..... I have a base metal paper knife with Napoleon Bonaparte figure on the handle, topped with a helmet and the bust seems to be the same as later figures of N.B. with simplified helmet. Is it worth bothering with in stock, as I see on other
sites that memorabilia seemed to peter out after his death,m so any chance of giving it a vague date?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sue,This is a neat little piece and I think it does have some collector value.Napoleon-related items still have a steady following, particularly in France, but you are right, most of the Napoleon fervour petered out when the living memory of his influence died in the latter part of the 19th century.Napoleon emblazoned letter openers were produced in great numbers and most date to the late 1800s to the early 1900s. In fact the petit empereur seemed to appear on these more than any other household or other item. I guess it must have been the general public's fascination at the time for his intense and often saucy correspondence with Josephine. "You too could have your love letters opened by Napoleon" would be the irresistible slogan. Yours most likely dates to the first quarter of the 1900s. Your particular model was also manufactured with a mother-of-pearl blade and these seem to be quite sought after and sell in the £60 range.As such, I would give your metal-bladed version an auction or on line (eBay etc) value of about ‎£25 -‎£40 . Full retail/retail/replacement value of‎ £75.I do hope this helps!Best wishes,Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes,
Again you have the answer, thank you and will follow your advice, will have to re-do the third question as it seems, from just watching an old Antiques Roadshow, that the little gold Victoria coin may be a half sovereign. Am in the middle of pricing fiddly pieces of jewellery so will come back with my new question tomorrow. Oh, by the way it is Carol - who is Sue??????? :>
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
So sorry, Carol, I have been slugging too much coffee....after which I call everyone Sue.I am married to a Carol, so I should know better. My apologies!Look forward to hearing from you tomorrow,Many thanks,Robert