Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have two tables bought by my parents a number of years ago

Customer Question

I have two tables bought by my parents a number of years ago from an antique shop in Scotland. Could you give me a valuation?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.I will be pleased to help you.Please send me the dimensions of your two tables.Kind regards,Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Doris, measurements below. Hope these help.Card table
Closed - 770mm H x 865 x 425
Open - 742H x 865 x 855Small drop leaf table
Down - 615 H x 405 x 520
Both leaves up - 1055 mmRegards Barbara
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information.Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.I should be back in 20 minutes.I thank you in advance for your patience.Kind regards,Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's fine Doris, thank you.
Barbara
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.
I did some research on your question wjile waiting for the exact measurements.Your drop-leaf table is most often used as a sofa table because it fits so nicely behind a sofa.It dates ca 1890 and has a retail antiques store value of $4500-5000. They are very popular.The flip top card-type table dates ca1920. It has a retail vintage store value of $2200.Both of these appraisals assume good condition as pictured.A private seller to a dealer can expect 30-60% of retail value.I hope I have helped you.If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you. Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.Kind regards.DorisIf you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much Doris. I knew they'd paid £600 for the sofa table but that was a lot of years ago, so it's good to know they didn't waste their money. Again, thanks for your speedy and knowledgeable answer.
Kind regards Barbara
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.
Please consider giving me a positive rating. It is the only way I am compensated by Just Answer for my work.You should see five stars or five happy faces with my answer. This is where you rate me. Rating me a positivedoes not cost you any extra.Kind regards,Doris
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.
Hi there!
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?
Let me know,
Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Doris, yes thank you, ***** ***** was informative and very helpful. I would like to sell the flip top card table but unfortunately the value here in the UK is much less.
Barbara
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.
The flip-top table is less desirable and rare than the sofa table (I use my sofa table as a desk).Try an ad in GoAntiques.com. I think they have a UK office. They used to.Thank you so very much for your positive rating.