Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a canteen of silver cutlery, thought to be Belgian and

I have a canteen of silver cutlery, thought to be Belgian and given as a wedding present in 1900. There are two marks: one is a triangle containing three stars; the other is rectangle containing 800, the fineness. Any suggestions, please?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Since this is a visual thing, I need to see pictures of these marks. You can do this by using the ADD FILES button in the lower right of your screen. Please also tell me how many pieces are in the set and add one picture of the pattern.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sadly my camera is out of action (dropped in a lake), so the best I can do is make an unsatisfactory scan and draw the marks.There are 53 pieces in the set.
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.
This is the mark of Wolfers Freres (Wolfers Brothers) of Belgium. This is a pattern designed by Philip Wolfers between 1890 and 1895. It is 800 purity silver, sterling is 925 purity by comparison. A set of 53 pieces has a current value of $1450 to $1600.00.http://www.st-john.be/gallery/wolfers-freres-5It is important for you to click the stars after you have read my answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How very kind - and efficient - and speedy. Thank you. Worth 5 stars. The set was a gift to my stepfather's parents on their marriage and bears their initials; it now belongs to my daughter - the fourth generation. I shall place a note of this in the canteen.