Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner, Appraisals Corproration
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have a Henry Garland oil painting of the Duke of Wellington

I have a Henry Garland oil painting of the Duke of Wellington - quite small - apparently bought in 1997 for £900. How much is it now worth?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.I will be pleased to help you.Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls. I must research up-to-date data to give the most accurate answer.Besides there are extra system charges to you for live conversations.Please send me a photo of your oil painting.To send photos you may use the "attach" or "add" link or "paper clip" you see on your reply page.I also need the dimensions not including the frame.Kind regards,Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry I cannot send a photo as I no longer have it - it has been given as a gift. It was a smallish oil painting (say 25cm x 30cm) excl frame.
Thank you for the information.Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.I thank you in advance for your patience.Kind regards,Doris
Henry Garland (1834-1913)"Born in Hadlow, Kent in 1834, he died at Leatherhead, Surrey in 1913, aged 78. He was trained at the Royal Academy of Arts during 1853 -57 where he won the medal for 'The best drawing from the Life' in both 1854 and 1857. He actively exhibited between 1854 and 1890. He had 30 paintings exhibited at the Royal Academy and specialised in Highland Cattle and general genre paintings. He was also an accomplished portrait painter.He has paintings in the permanent exhibitions at Sunderland, York and Leicester Art Galleries and also in the Long Room at Lords CricketGround in London."Source:Information courtesy of the artist's grandson, John Garland When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value. Using this standard method, I was able to determine an auction value of $3200-3600 for your Henry Gsrland assuming good condition. Retail art gallery prices are subjective and depend on location.Typically, a dealer will at least double the auction price. This means the retail value of your painting would be at least $6400-7200. A private seller to a dealer can expect 30-60% of retail value.I hope I have helped you.If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you. Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.Kind regards.DorisIf you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.Thank you.
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.