LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  25+ years experience in Antiques, Certified Appraiser, Speaker, Member of AOA, Asheford Institute Antiques,and I am an Antique Researcher
52235960

I have two white chinaware (possibly bone china) Toby .

I have two white chinaware (possibly bone china) Toby jugs. They sit cross legged holding their jugs and are very elegant and slim looking with elegant handles - compared to most Toby jugs I have seen. They also have thin gilt lines drawn for the face eyes, eyebrows, nose, mouth and gilt lines drawn for hair. The marks underneath are into the pottery and not printed, one is an elegant looking 'y', the other looks like a 'b'. I have hunted and hunted for these jugs to find out more about them but cannot find them anywhere, I guess they may also be foreign or mass produced, just have absolutely no idea.
There are a couple of stories regarding their history: one is that they were given to my grandfather when he was a little boy by and elderly lady, my grandfather was born in 1907 and the other story, was that he purchased them as a gift for his mother with his first wages when he completed his apprenticeship and this would have been around the 1920's.
Would appreciate any help at all. Many thanks
Sandy
Category: Antiques
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** am one of the expert appraisers here at justanswer. I would be happy to help you. could you post a few photos for me to evaluate and close up of any markings. Thank you I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello LadyTanya65,Thank you for getting I touch, please find attached some photos of Tweedledum and Tweedledee, sorry my nicknames, I hope they help with your search.Regards Sandy
thank you for the photos i will post my findings back here within our post as soon as I am done.
Expert:  replied 1 year ago.
Burlington ware are the only Toby mugs I found that had legs crossed. I researched the company and found the following:
John Shaw and Sons Ltd. were established in 1920 at the Drewery Works in Longton making Ornamental & Table ware. On 5 July 1933 they were registered as a limited company .
They traded as Burlington ware which later became Burlington Art Pottery.
The factories that were used for production were;
Willow Pottery on Warren Street (Formerly Hewitt & Leadbeaters) - Earthenware Manufacture.
Warwick works on Chadwick street - Earthenware Manufacture.
And Phoenix pottery (Formerly Forresters) - China sector.
The markings on the pottery did not start until 1931 and initials were used prior to that. The age of these mugs I would say are 1925-1930. The bone china Toby mugs have a value of 55.00 each with the gold gilding. I apologize for the time it took but this was a hard one. There was only one I found online but I found there was a woman and a maiden mug done also.
Thank you and if I may be of further help please let me know. I am always happy to help.
++++++++++++++++
*
If I have answered all your questions and helped you please rate my answer as this is how I am paid from the site:
At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars:
1 or 2 stars are that I have not helped you in answering 3-4 I have helped you yet not completely and 5 stars are I have answered you and been fully helpful. If you still have questions please allow me to help you fully before rating with the stars. I enjoy helping customers and do my best to fully answer all questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Tanya,Thank you so much, yes I feel it was a tough one too - I am so happy to now have some history behind these jugs, they have rather been a mystery since my grandfather died. I feel you have answered everything for me so will definitely be awarding 5 stars, thank you once again for all your efforts.With kind regardsSandra