Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine & Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA, USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I have a gold plated with mother of pearl handle American parasol/umbrella

I have a gold plated with mother of pearl handle American parasol/umbrella .on the screw turn push opener it is stamped NWR it also inscribed "maud Wad" Any value?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hello, In order for me to properly assess what you have I will need to see images and clear, in-focus close-ups of the mark. Please send the photos at your convenience. There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here. ~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here are the details of handle and markings
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
pictures as requested
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you for the images and for your patience. The name inscribed on the end of the handle is "Maud Wagner", the owner of the parasol. Although the name is 'common' to some extent, there is one famed Maud Wagner to whom this could have belonged, and she was a circus performer as well as first female tattoo artist in America. Here is a link for you to a brief history of Maud Wagner (1877 - 1961): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maud_Wagner Again, there would have to be absolute proof, such as a photograph with her holding this umbrella to truly attribute ownership to her. NRW is the maker mark, though a fair number of NRW marked parasols and metal handles have been sold on the market, there is not information on the full name of "NRW". In general, there oddly is scant information on the parasol industry as a whole. Yours dates to circa 1900 - 1910. On today's market, this can retail for as high as $150 or 100GBP. Here is a link to a comparable for you that sold for $150:http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/umbrella-handle-mop-rolled-gold-192438352 If the provenance, or history of prior ownership can be traced to Maud Wagner, the circus performer and tattoo artist, then the sale value can increase. There is one person I know who does collect American Tattoo Art history related pieces, I recommend contacting Derin Bray:***@******.***(203)(###) ###-####~Nora