Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have 2small books one is about 1 inch tall i has a brass

i have 2small books one is about 1 inch tall i has a brass cover with a clip to fasten it when you open it it is the full BIBLE the other is about half inch high it has a little hole in the top when you look into it you see THE LORDS PRAYER ARE THEY OF ANY VALUE please
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have had these item for many years givento me by mother in the fifties how long she had them idon.t know
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.I will be pleased to help you.Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls. I must research up-to-date data to give the most accurate answer.Sometimes my customers click the wrong button when they really do not want a "live conversation." Please be careful what choices you click on.Miniature Bibles with brass, silver or tooled leather covers were very popular in the 19thC. Often they would be part of a waist belt called a chatelaine. Sometimes they were given as christening gifts. A small one like yours would have a retail antiques store value of $95-125 assuming good condition. Your other "book" is called a stanhope. Stanhopes come in a myriad of different sizes and shapes. Sometimes, when one peeps through the hole, one sees a famous landscape or building or even pornographic pictures. Many crosses were made where the scene was a religious one or the Lord's Prayer.These, too, were very popular during the 19thC and early 20thC.Your small stanhope has a retail antiques store value of about $110 assuming good condition. A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.I hope I have helped you.If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you. Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.Kind regards.DorisIf you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.Thank you.