Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

What does wh&sbd stand for. 5153 A it's on the bottom of a

What does wh&sbd stand for. 5153 A it's on the bottom of a dish like a cake or sweet dish with a handle
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Margaret,My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your cake dish.It sounds like you have a piece by Sheffield maker Walker & Hall.Could you very kindly attach a photo of the mark and of the piece itself and I'll tell you all about it and give you a value.Many thanks and wait to hear,Robert PS. Once you have the photos in your computer, it's a simple matter to attach them. Just click on the paperclip icon, located above the text box where you are typing to me. If there's no paperclip, click on the "Add files" tab.If you get stuck go here for help.http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Robert hope these photos are ok
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Margaret, those are ideal, that's all I need to see.What a beautiful basket!Leave this with me while I check on some recent sales data and I'll have a full answer and a value for you as soon as I can.Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Robert this was something that was left by my mum 12 years ago but I have never tried to clean it at all it has been in my loft since then.Margaret
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
This form with the swing handle and short pedestal foot is usually known as a "bride's basket" a fashionable item for the late Victorian bride to carry a wedding bouquet, but they were probably more often used as a centerpiece display on the dining table for fruit or flowers.The wonderfully elaborate rococo revival engraving dates it to around 1880 - 1890 and it was made by the very reputable Sheffield, England, firm of William Hutton & Sons. Here's an advertisement from around the time your basket was made showing their factory at***** Sheffield. It is made of electroplated silver over a nickel alloy base. The letters to the right of the WH in an oval (to the right of "& S") read "BP" for "Britannia Plate". Britannia metal was a pewter-like alloy containing nickel that made it silver colored and considered the best metal for electroplating with silver, a relatively new innovation at the time.As far as value is concerned, it's not going to be anything like the value of a basket made of sterling silver as the silver content of electroplated Britannia metal is less than 2% silver, but it does have collector appeal, nonetheless.I'm sure you have no intention of selling such a precious heirloom, but if you were to see an identical one for sale in an antique store, it would have a full retail price of about $350. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes. Expect to get about 30% - 40% of this if you were to sell at auction or on line (eBay, etc).I do hope this helps!Best wishes,Robert PS. If there's anything more I can help you with on this, please don't hesitate to ask. If not, could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do. And if you have another item you'd like to ask me about, just start a new Question and put "For Robert S....." in the subject line. Thanks, R.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I haven't been back in contact with you last night but I fell asleep. Do you ink I should clean the basket if so what should I use.?Margaret
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Good morning Margaret,Cleaning silver-plate is a personal preference, and recently there's been a fashion for leaving it tarnished, probably because (a) cleaning it is such a chore and (b) if the silver-plate is worn the wear is much more obvious to the eye when polished. Call me old-fashioned, but I think silver-plate is much more beautiful when shiny & polished and, besides, if silver wasn't meant to be polished it wouldn't be called "silver" it would be called "black".Silver plate polishing is a subject that can get very complicated but, simply put, when you clean any silver with conventional silver polish, it's certainly effective, but it does remove a tiny layer of silver each time. The layer of silver on silver plate is not that thick so eventually ones regular polishing is going to expose patches of the base metal underneath.There is, however, a 'kitchen chemistry' silver cleaning method that avoids this rubbing away, in fact it does exactly the opposite, it converts the black tarnish back to metallic silver again. It involves dunking the silver item in boiling water into which is added baking soda, salt and vinegar and, most importantly of all, the container must be lined with zinc/aluminum foil.Here's a link to specific instructions.The key is to have the water hot enough. It's also VERY important to rinse the item well when it's done as any salt residue left on the silver can do harm.Also, you're going to have to find quite a large container in order to immerse your basket all the way, though with the handle folded down it should be possible, even if it involves turning it over and doing it in two separate plunges.I use this method all the time and with great success. The effects are quite magical and it saves hours of polishing, though I always buff up the item after its bath as it sometimes comes out tarnish free but a bit dull looking.Hope this helps!Robert
Experience: Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for all your advice Robert I'll give it a try.Thanks againMargaret
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome, glad to have helped!