Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a painting that has been in my family years

Customer Question

Hi I have a painting that has been in my family for many years and I would like a valuation please. It is a painting of the head of Christ and it has always been thought to either have been painted by Guido Reni or from the school of Guido Reni. It was cleaned and restored professionally about 37/40 years ago. How do I proceed. Thank you. You're June Smith
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.I will be pleased to help you.Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls. I must research up-to-date data to give the most accurate answer.Sometimes my customers click the wrong button when they really do not want a "live conversation." Please be careful what choices you click on.Please tell me the dimensions of your painting inside the frame. Do not take the canvas out of the frame.Then I need two phptos -One of the painting and one clear one of the signature.You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the signature.If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the signature and take a photo of the sketch.To send photos you may use the "attach" or "add" link or "paper clip" you see on your reply page.Kind regards,Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Doris. I am not home at present but will measure the picture as soon as I can and also send you a photo. I actually don't think that the painting has a visible signature but I'll check. As I mentioned it is supposed to be by Guido Reni. I have seen some of his work in the Louvre sometime ago and the style of his work is very similar to my painting. I presume the paint will have to be tested. Yours June smith
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.To send photos you may use the "attach" or "add" link or "paper clip" you see on your reply page.I look forward to hearing back from you.Kind regards,Doris