Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine & Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA, USPAP Compliant through 2019
71377891

Valuation of s.u nayak's paintings

Customer Question

valuation of s.u nayak's paintings
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hello, In order for me to properly assess what you have I will need to know the size and see images of the front, back (do not remove from frame) and a clear, in-focus close-up of the signature. Please send the photos at your convenience. There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here. ~Nora
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA, USPAP Compliant through 2019
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Please send images at your convenience.
~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the painting is storage, but it is called '' the ghat's of benares"
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I can wait as long as you need to send images. ~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot contact you 0n(###) ###-####Are you in the states?
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Yes, I am in the US. Here is a link to a comparable I found for you of a painting by Sheshgiri Upendra Nayak (1912-1988) that was offered at auction for 150GBP - 200GBP that sold for 100GBP: https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/37540951_sheshgiri-upendra-nayak-indian-1912-1988-town-scene ~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does 100GBP means £100
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Yes, that is correct.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When what it sold?
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
June 29, 2015
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot accept that I was told by an Indian friend that his paintings were very valuable. Please do some more research.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I will opt-out here and open your question again to all the experts so you can get a possible second opinion. I can only relay to you what the auction records show. You can also contact Rosebery's in London for an opinion on estimate of auction sale prices and Saffron Art in NYC, a leading auction house in just art from India. https://www.roseberys.co.uk/ http://www.saffronart.com/ ~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I look forward to getting an answer wihin 24 hours. my e-mail address is***@******.*** Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Tim in Antiques replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon, My name is***** did follow up research on the current market for work by Sheshgiri Upendra Nayak (1912-1988). At this point in time only one work by the artist has come to auction in the International art market. That singular work was offered three times by Rosebery's in London the first was in 24 Mar 2015, the second 16 May 2015, and the third 29 June 2015. The first two times the work failed to sell. The third it sold for $149.00. As appraisers we base our values on actual sales records and not on estimates. I am sure in India the artist is highly admired. Unfortunately the current taste in art, which drives the values, does not appreciate Sheshgiri Upendra Nayak's art. Warm Regards Tim