rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in sterling, gold, American and European porcelain and art glass.
68269273

Large heavy silver plate about 12" diameter Markings: on top

Large heavy silver plate about 12" diameter
Markings: on top crest and name of Hotel Cecil
On bottom: 40 in diamond shape stencil
Below that: S in a circle stencil
Number below: 5615
Then a row of 5 symbols:
1) E&Co with badge above
2) Looks like a C or G surrounding a vertical stick or flagpole
3) &
4) Co?
5) K
Below that: ELKINGTON&Co
Can you identify this please and confirm silver or plate
Stephen Maud ***@******.***
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank you for the great description. Can you also please add a picture of this mark and of the plate? You can do this by using the Add Files feature on your screen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As requested
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Great, can you also add one photo of the marks on the back?
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
I see that you have asked for a phone call. That is not a service that I provide. Sometimes that request pops up by rote and please know it did not come from me.If you can add a picture of the marks on the back, that would be great. Those marks give me the visual clues that I need to determine when your tray was made and whther or not it is silver or plate as this company made both.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sent 2 photos - the second one was a close-up of the mark. Please re-check. My mistake but diameter is 15" not 12". Hope this did not cause you any problems.
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
No troubles, that window pops up and most people click it by accident.Please add the one with the mark again using the Add Files feature. It did not go through here.If you would rather email, then you must send to***@******.*** and put 'for rarewares in antiques' in the subject line. That method takes a bit longer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I am not the computer expert and he has gone out!
The Plate 2 is on my screen and I am trying to attach!
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
It did come through and is a wonderfully clear picture. Thanks so much!Now I will get to work and get back to you in a bit with my answer.
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
This is a silver plated serving platter (possibly missing a domed lid) made by Elkington and Co in pattern number 5613, a Chippendlae style piece made for the Hotel Cecil in London. The Hotel was built in 1896 and commissioned Elkington to make all of their serving pieces for use in the hotel rooms and dining areas. Elkington serviced out some of the work to another maker because the contract was so large, but not this piece based on the marks I see. The marks help to date the piece to exactly 1896, so it would have been some of the first service used in the Hotel. It is in remarkably good condition for hotel ware (maybe someone absconded with it before it made it into daily service, lol!). Just because it is plated ware does not mean that it without value. This is a great historical piece of hotel ware and has a retail value of $500 to $600 us dollars. I can translate to GBP if you need me to.It is important for you to click the stars after you have read my answer.
Experience: Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in sterling, gold, American and European porcelain and art glass.