Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have a painting given to my husband in the 1960s as a bond

Customer Question

I have a painting given to my husband in the 1960s as a bond for a loan. It appears to be of a South Pacific funeral ceremony and I think it is a watercolour. I would like to know more about this painting - where would be my best source for information please?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.I will be pleased to help you.Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls. I must research up-to-date data to give the most accurate answer.Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me.I notice you are in the UK. Do you live near London? If so, then I can make a recommendation.Kind regards,Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Doris,
I live in St. Albans which is approximately 20 miles from London and would appreciate your recommendation
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.
The famous auction houses Sothebys, Christies and Bonhams have free appraisal days. Call them to see when the next ones are.OR - if you wish to sell - tell one of these auction houses that you wish to sell with them and ask how much their published estimate would be or what you should put on it as a reserve.These are the addresses for their sites. When you contact them, send photos along with your email to let them see what you have.http://www.christies.com/selling-services/http://www.sothebys.comhttp://www.bonhams.com/how_to_sell/?gclid=CjwKEAjwm-aqBRD39YPqhbzthzYSJACFj-At56r9Dj6LPvR4HSje0Pv8FwM4UTWDECFfQCFY2EKxChoCc8fw_wcB You will need to copy and paste these into your browser URL.They are the contact addresses for selling. A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.I hope I have helped you.If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me. I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you. Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.Kind regards.DorisIf you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.Thank you.