Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

I bought this as a genuine Chelsea figurine, but would be

Customer Question

I bought this as a genuine Chelsea figurine, but would be pleased to receive your opinion.
She stands 4 inches tall
Chris
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chris,This is Robert here again. This is certainly a charming little piece but is by the same maker as your cherub & goat figurine, in other words German made and dating to circa 1890 - 1914.She is certainly very similar to the little Chelsea figures of girls seated on a stump and surrounded by bocage and applied flowers, but again, the porcelain of yours is hard paste 19th century and not the cream color with a skin of 18th century soft paste from which true Chelsea was made.You can see the double eye line in this one too, that all these gold anchor German ones seem to be characterized by.Your little girl is normally paired with a boy figure and together, in undamaged condition they sell at auction for about $150 so your single one would have an auction/eBay value in the range of $60 - $90. Full retail/replacement value: $180.I hope this helpful info.Best wishes,Robert S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Robert
This is as I suspected; normally my items are ones I bought cheaply believing I had a bargain. This one I bought as genuine and I was caught. With your help I am learning all the time. Thankyou
Chris
PS After a while I sell on my items; Can I quote you? or is that not cricket?
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
You're very welcome, Chris. Sorry you were sold a pup, it's a hard lesson but a good one and we all get to learn one or two that way. Best thing to do is keep looking at the real thing in museums and books and especially old Christies and Sotheby's sales catalogues and you'll soon get to notice the shades of difference.Please go ahead and quote me when you come to sell, that's absolutely fine.Best wishes,Robert