Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

I have a bronze coin with a date 1708 its about the size of

i have a bronze coin with a date 1708 its about the size of a old half peeny with marking on the back and front i cant make out can you help identfy it please
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Frank replied 11 months ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer,My name is***** am a Personal Property Appraiser and would be happy to assist you with your question.Do you have any photos of the coin you may be able to send? UPLOAD:The link below will direct you through our upload processhttp://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i hi i cant down load a photograph as i dont no how to do it
Expert:  Frank replied 11 months ago.
Let's see if we can work from a description. Do you see any letters or wording on the coin?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
all i can see is on one side looks like laural leaves all the way round the outside on the other sid looks like a date 1708 and some what look like scrolled letters
Expert:  Frank replied 11 months ago.
Can you make out any of the letters?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hi again if its okay with you as i can only do the basics on a computor can i get my son tomorrow to email you a photo of the coin. which should help you identify it
Expert:  Frank replied 11 months ago.
That would be great. Getting a look at the coin would really give me the best way to identify the origin.I look forward to hearing from you,Frank
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
please find the pictures of the coins the best i could get am afraid
Expert:  Frank replied 11 months ago.
That one is pretty far gone for me, but have no worry, I am going to open up your question to our other experts to see if they can identify that one for you. No need to re-upload the photos, you are all set.Thank you for your patience, Frank
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thanks for that looking forward to hearing from you.
Expert:  Robert S. replied 11 months ago.
Hi George,My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your mystery coin.Do you live in Wales, by any chance?Your coin is very worn and degraded, and with the pitting & corrosion that comes from being buried for a good while, but you can just make out a laurel wreath on one side, as well as the form of a hooded figure. On the other side there's a monogramme with a date above it and script around the perimeter.The only coin that fits all those is this one:http://i.imgur.com/yYoums6.jpg(click on the link and the photo will pop up) This is a Parys Mine Company copper Conder token ha'penny.The obverse is the hooded figure of a druid with a beard and the reverse are the initials PMC for Parys Mine Company in Anglesea. The inscription is "THE ANGLESEA MINES HALFPENNY".A Conder token was an 18th century privately minted coinage. The Parys Mine Company, under the ownership of ***** *****, was the first in the country to issue these tokens, beginning in 1787, so the date on yours is more likely to be 1788 or 1798.***** ***** was known as "The Copper King of Parys Mountain", site of what was then the largest copper mine in the world. These penny tokens were paid to the miners in lieu of real pennies and halfpennies which were in very short supply at that time due the Royal Mint not striking any copper coins at all for 48 years, from 1773 until 1821.The Conder tokens, however, were minted by the millions and there are still a good deal of them around today in coin collections, so their value is minimal. In pristine condition it would be worth at most £15 - £20.Yours is so damaged that its value is a curiosity only, but it's extremely neat to own, literally, a little token of history that's well over two hundred years old.I do hope this helps!Best wishes,Robert S. PS. If there's anything more I can help you with on this, please don't hesitate to ask. If not, could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do. And if you have another item you'd like to ask me about, just start a new Question and put "For Robert S....." in the subject line. Thanks, R.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for the info you are spot on there is some writing around the edge London or Liverpool I live in Runcorn which is not to far from Anglesey .
That's right, the extra text around the outside edge should read:"We promise to pay the bearer one penny On demand in London, Liverpool or Anglesea"This was to conform with the law that these coins were only trade tokens, or promissory coins, rather than official coins of the realm.Runcorn! That's perfect, it didn't stray far, did it!? Dropped by some poor miner paying the ferryman across to Widnes, no doubt.
Experience: Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thanks again for the last piece of the puzzle i can tell my grand children now the story about the great nans coin .