Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine & Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA, USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I have a silver plated oval dish on central stand, Mark is

I have a silver plated oval dish on central stand, Mark is F.C &Co S. EPNS in a square lozenge and then the number 405 underneath.
This was a wedding present to my parents in the 1930's. Is it worth replating?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hello, In order for me to properly assess what you have I will need to see images and clear, in-focus close-ups of the mark If you had already attached images to your initial posting, they are not showing for me here on my end. Please send the photos at your convenience. There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here. ~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am attempting to attach some photos just taken with iPad, bear with me!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry do I mean bare!
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you for the image. There is one attached here that I can see on my end of a front view. Can you please send a clear, in-focus, close-up of the mark. In terms of your question on re-plating, is the under-metal showing through/has the silver plating worn off significantly? ~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nora, I hope the image is better, it looks ok for me, not sure how to make it clearer....the plating has worn off in the bowl only. I just wondered if it is worth doing as it has sentimental value and I think my daughter may like it, not that any of our children really want any of our antiques!
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you for the image. Please allow me some time to look this over and to write your assessment. I will post it here when complete. ~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you for your patience. Your silver plated pierced cut pedestal compote dish or tazza marked F.C. & Co was made in Sheffield, England by Frank Cobb & Co. They were active from 1905 to circa 1940. The letters EPNS in shield are for Electro-Plated Nickel Silver. The S in circle is for the quality of silver they used for plating. The numbers 405 are for the pattern and shape. Silver plated objects do not sell for as high as sterling silver because there is not a precious metal melt down value to plate like there is for sterling. On today’s market, this would sell for an average of $15 - $30 and a possible high of $75. The suggested insurance or replacement value is $100. Re-plating will cost more than the re-sale value, so doing so would be more a labor of love for future generations than for increasing value. ~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi~
Thanks for the positive rating! Much Appreciated.
I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.
When you post a new question, please add "For Nora" or "Hi Nora" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you.
The only items I do not assess for value are clocks, coins, watches, sewing machines, swords and firearms.
Sincerely,
Nora