Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

S about the moss agate bowl I am a feeble old

Customer Question

for Robert S
about the moss agate bowl I am a feeble old thing and everything I tried to scratch it with I failed to make a mark although there is a small mark on the base it measures 6.2" long 4.2 widest and height 2.2" I notice there is a crack round the top difficult to seetreasure trove 42
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Okay thanks for that. That's a really good sign that you can't scratch it, it rules out a great deal of cheaper minerals like "Honan jade" etc.It looks like this is Chinese serpentine, a very hard stone similar to jadeite or nephrite (the only two forms of true jade) but often referred to as 'moss agate' in the UK.This example of a moss agate bowl, early 20th century, sold at auction in London last month for £90 which is probably about right. It's a shame yours has damage, it will probably do only half as well, say £30 – £50 at auction. Full retail: £90.Hope this helps.Best wishes,Robert. PS. I can't do any more appraisals at only $4 a pay out (we get paid by JustAnswer half of what you opt to set the price of the question at) otherwise I will starve to death. Hope you don't take offence at my mentioning it, no offence intended at all. R.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry about that they don't tell one this, they charge a monthly fee so I thought they paid you a fee and my tip was just enough for a very small drink! I also thought that when I had sold items I would put some more in your coffers. Without a shop and living in the middle of nowhere so have to rely on sale rooms with their ridculus charges !! By the way i put it in pounds which i think is slightly higher than dollars?
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for understanding. Since Boris J. got on his hind legs yesterday and announced he was all for Britain being cast adrift from Europe the pound has plunged to just above the dollar -if he'd only stop thinking he was the re-incarnation of Winston Churchill -and lived in the 21st century, he'd actually be quite a useful politician. Which was a long-winded way of saying that $4.89 was the pay out this end.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So sorry Robert it is not my intention to get such good advice and not be apriciative of it, and as you know the wheels of art wind slowly. BUT I have put the Kay Cathcart into a local sale and although it belongs to my niece she will I know be very happy to send you via me some more loot when it sells ( re phrase that, if it sells!) I am thinking of going across for Easter and will take the near Baskt and also the hounds over for other sales, so this is on going, and I assure you if the cash comes in with the tide some flotsome will be coming your way.
As to this whole In/ Out question, we on IOM don't even get a vote which must be consitutanly wrong? My view is Europe has like some single cell, gradually over the last 1000 years has been sticking more and more together Burgundy, Orange, Aquataine , etc became France, Lombardy Vience Tuscany Italy, and from early on England county by county, began to start sticking. Then Wales and Scotland, then it was the EURO and now the anamebia cells are about to divide, more slowly if UK stay, and faster if they don't. I presume you are based in America? so come on line our evening times?
Please say if this is abore as I will stop pestering you! I have two more un photographed falling too bits pictures, from the dungeons in Scotland and rather a nice painting of mine. Centuries ago I was a runner - well not exactly, I had an art gallery in Ireland- and David Carritt used to come over from Christies and then when he had Artimis, and all my ducklings were swans! I was young and just thought it was my brilliant eye, but then David died and after that the Maas's, Ricci's and many more pictures I had found, suddenly to get a FIRM conformation on them without David's golden backing was much much more difficult! For instance I have a pair of my late husbands family pastel drawings, and on the back in Sir Thomas Lawrence hand writing it says ' please keep out of light and damp' of course having been in an Irish house they were on a damp wall with morning light on them! When Garlic was doing his book on Sir Thomas I wrote and gave him the impeccable provenance and he refused to accept it! Since then I have been in two other houses and have seen pastels larger than mine but with the same writing and same message on the back, one in Scotland and one in Suffolk both of ancestors of the owners, which are not in any book presumably because he turned them down! Ah. for D Carritt now
A
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Fascinating and also horrifying how one is beholden to these "king makers" of the art world. I call them the "gatekeepers". If you have a good one on your side, like your David Carritt then you are made.I'm so envious that you and he were buddies, I would have loved to have met him. His particular brand of outspokenness, travel-weary hubris, and raconteur-ship must have made him irresistible. As you say, he'd turn all your ducklings into swans. As I'm sure you remember, at the tender age of 25 he discovered Caravaggio's "The Musicians". He died far too young.What a shame about your family Sir Thomas Lawrence pastel. Kenneth Garlick should have known better, especially with the impeccable provenance of Irish damp. Light has never been a problem, I don't think. The gloom of the average Irish drawing room is probably the perfect environment for a pastel, notwithstanding the wood & turf smoke, none of those fireplaces ever drew properly, especially in a gale.I like your analogy of the amoeba of Europe. we certainly have moved from a loosely connected continent of competing city states to huge agglomerations of "consumers" which will probably be the way it will stay, with odd bits dropping off now and again, but basically staying as one big Merchant Amoeba so we can be sold stuff more easily. The Merchant Amoeba will have to save some pennies for the future otherwise it's going to perish along with everything else from climate catastrophe. Best of luck with the sale of the Cathcart and the others.Keep me posted.R