Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a silver plated (Victorian?) toast warmer. Hall mark

Customer Question

I have a silver plated (Victorian?) toast warmer. Hall mark Hardy Brothers, Sydney and Brisbane, Staniforth's Patent 9448. A large silver jug with lid Hall Mark JD & S EP and a symbol that is shaped like a wine goblet without the base. Third a silver serving dish about 10 inches hall mark Elkington & Co and five symbols - sort of circle in a black rectangle, a square with objects that look like moons, a shield shape containing the letters W (something?) & C and finally a square and rectangle whose symbol I can't delineate.
Fourth a 6-7th inch sort of shallow goblet with ornate handles hall mark R.P, a lion. a lions face and an 'r'. Finally a wedgwood and silver wine cooler. On the china base is EOTO97657 Tunstall England, initial F.C and hall mark on the silver Made in England, in a diamond shape WS and EPNS s8750.
I have several other similar pieces.
Three questions
What is the best way to clean these up?
How is the best way I can sell them?
What sort of value should I expect?
Any help gratefully appreciated as they have been sitting in my loft for over 40 years! I also know that my grand and great grandparents were into silver in Sheffield but have no other information on them.
Best wishes, Saffron
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Hello,My name isCustomerand I would love to help. We only do one item per question, so I will do the shallow goblet that you described. I chose this piece because it is the only sterling silver piece that you have. All of the others have the EP (electro plate) or other symbols that denote plated silver which makes the pieces on worth under $20usd each. This goblet, however, will be worth more and I'll be able to give you more detail when I see it.I will need photos, because the shape that surrounds the symbols is also important. Use the Add Files feature to add pictures of the goblet and the marks.
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Were you able to get photos of your goblet and marks?