Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

S Robert been ill so not been working very

for Robert S
Hi Robert been ill so not been working very much and my camera has gone on blink so not sure how good these pics are. This is more from my late sisters house I think my father possibly bought or given by some impovrished artist that he had taken under his wing who after drinking us out of house and home would be sent on his or her way, by my mother who had enough of the sponging! chrysanthnums painted on prepared canvas board and signed.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 10 months ago.
Hi April,Welcome back, but sorry to hear you've not been well. I guess it's the time of year for it.Just a few more weeks and the spring weather is all the tonic one needs. When asked what his favourite colour was my father would always answer, "The colour of grass four inches high". Just the look of it in April sunshine heals everything.Thanks for the photo of the whiskey sponger's chrysanthemums! Actually a very passable still life.How big is it roughly?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
23.6" BY 18.6" Yes it is quite nice might be dated 48 I like expressions like that my pa would say on entering the Ritz bar or some where like that "Ah. Gin and vermouth the fountain of youth!"
I love that one! I might 'borrow' it, though does anyone drink gin and vermouth any more?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes 'pretty fathers have pretty daughters' usually said when introducing some one to me who's name he had forgotten.
As to drinking gin and vermouth dosen't James Bond have any sway? as a dry martini was that, unless made with dry sherry ( the tinnyest amount)
I am about to see if I can find a new second hand digital camera and then take some more pictures of other drinksponging artists who's daubs were left behind when finally booted out by my mother.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
have got another picture of signature of the chrysanthums
Thanks, ***** ***** close-up is a lot clearer.I make that Tomás Surrilo '42 or Jonás Surrilo '42 but either way it does not pull up any listed artist in my database, including any and all Spanish artists and this is surely a Spanish name.I've also tried all other combinations of initial G and other lower case double letters in the middle and nothing fits. I've also looked at a bunch of 20th century Spanish and Argentinian sill life artists and there's no-one on the "A"-list with a signature anything like this, so I'm confident we're not missing a Velasquez or a Goya, you'll be glad to hear.It's a pity I can't find a listing because there's definitely a talent here. Could well be some academy-trained patrician fugitive from Spain during the War. What a pity there's no more documentation and I suppose an entry in your sister's visitors' book for the late summer/autumn (i.e. the chrysanthemum season) of 1942 may be a long shot, but worth considering?As a decorative painting of chrysanthemums in a vase, sans frame, I would give it an auction value in the range of £60 - £100. Full retail/replacement/insurance value: £200.Hope this is helpful!Best wishes,Robert
Experience: Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
thanks Robert i am going up again in 10 days and will search the old visitors book if I can find it there was a war time airodrome near by but I think it was either Canadians and Russians but there was a prisoner of war camp up in the hills I remember my mother went to italy in 1947 and was welcomed with open arms by one of the ex Italian prisoners who had a restaurant I think they used to come down and work on the farm and paint the cottages so maybe they could have had Spanish ones as well?
Still that is a small help and thank you
I was going to mention Italian POWs -one or two did paint during their stint in English 'camps'- but could not quite work out how a Spaniard would have been a part of that.Delighted to hear there might an opportunity to go through your mother's old visitors' book. What fun!Have a great weekend,Best wishes,Robert