Wayne
Wayne, Auctioneer
Experience:  40 yrs. experience in antiques, jewelry, coins and paintings - ASA 1985
67223111

Im trying to trace a hallmark on a silver vase/pot. It is

Customer Question

Hi im trying to trace a hallmark on a silver vase/pot. It is marked X&T 830 a 6 pointed asterisk (like a union jack with no edges) and a primitive crab type creature. Any ideas on the maker please? Ive looked on numerous sites and forums but to no avail.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 8 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.I will be pleased to help you.Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation.Please know it is not from me. Please send a photo of the vase and a very clear one of the mark.You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.To send photos you may use the "attach file" or "add file" link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page. I look forward to seeing your photos.Please tell me the size of your vase as well. Kind regards,Doris
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Doris hopefully i have just sent you three photos. Cheers Allen
The first photo is a blur but the other two give clear photos of the mark.It is indeed a strange, foreign mark - not USA or UK.It may take me an hour to research it. I hope I can.I thank you in advance for your patience.Kind regards,Doris
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Cheers Doris
I strongly suspect that your mark is Norwegian prior to 1920. The X & T seems to be the unknown makers mark. The 830 tells you that the piece is made of an alloy containing 83% pure silver. There is mark that has rubbed off at the top. That might have given us more clues but it's hard to say.Unfortunately, I cannot find an accurate answer for your question. I will release your question so that all the other professionals can choose to answer you with accuracy.I want you to have the best answer possible. Releasing your question is called "opting-out." I will not be able to respond to you once I opt-out.I am very sorry.Kind regards,Doris
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes please release my queation Doris as this has told me no more than i found out myself. Thanks for your efforts though. Cheers Allen
Expert:  rarewares replied 8 months ago.
Allen,There are photos of the mark and I'd love to see the piece as well. Please do add a picture of the vase/pot by using the Add Files feature.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi there ive attached some more photos as requested. The wire stand has no marks at all and ther is no lid. Hope this helps. Cheers Allen
This is a mid-century beehive amphora vase made of 830 purity silver. The maker is unknown. The fish (what you referred to as a crab) is the 830 purity assay for Finland.I have added this info for you, but I will opt-out as I know you were looking for the maker and I was not able to provide that after hours of searching paid databases and books.I hope the next expert can help you find this information.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you rarewares i feel we are getting there. Much appreciated. Cheers Allen
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 8 months ago.
Hello Allen,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I've been working hard to find another Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Wayne replied 8 months ago.
Hi,My is Wayne. This is a silver hallmark from Cyprus. Cyprus​ Assay Office Larnaca Industrial Area PO Box 45047, Post Code 7110. Aradippou CHYPRE CYPRUS Tel. +357 24 533770 (Cited from: https://www.antiquers.com/threads/help-with-origin-maker-on-830-silver-bowl.4374/ Unfortunately, there is very little data on these makers.Thanks,Wayne