Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

I have a French 'Ormolu' 8day mantel clock I would like to

Customer Question

I have a French 'Ormolu' 8day mantel clock I would like to value.
Estimated dated 1840 - 1860.
Has Rollin A Paris stamped with no.1260
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kerry,My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your French clock.Could you very kindly attach a photo of it and one of the movement, if possible, and I'll tell you all about it and give you a value.Many thanks,Robert. PS. Once you have the photos in your computer (if you are using a smart phone camera, just email them to yourself) it's then a simple matter to attach them. Just click on the paperclip icon, located above the text box where you are typing to me. If there's no paperclip, click on the "Add files" tab.If you get stuck go here for help.http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Robert did you get the photo's you asked for if not let me know and I will resend them.
Regards Kerry
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kerry,Thanks for getting in touch, unfortunately your photos have not been forwarded to me yet.Can you very kindly re-send.If you sent them by email, the only address that gets to me is***@******.*** the email for my attention, Robert S. in the Antiques category otherwise they won't know who to send it to. I work "on" rather than "for" JustAnswer as an independent agent so all emails have to go through a third party to protect everyone's privacy. It may take up to 24 hours, but I'll let you know as soon as I see it this end.Alternatively, you can get them to me straight away by uploading the photos to a free public picture hosting site. The one I find easiest to use is http://www.imgur.com. (click on "upload images" and follow the prompts). Then all you have to do is give me the link they give you so I can see them.Hope this makes sense.Best wishes,Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kerry,I must apologize for the woefully slow response to your clock question.The photos were sent on to me a few days ago and then disappeared. I now have them again and thankfully, I can now give your question my full and prompt attention. Unfortunately the images came through to me as thumbnail size, so I'm not able to see much detail, but enough to see what you have and give you an accurate appraisal.This is a very nice old French, 2nd Empire period, ormolu mantel clock in a Renaissance revival or historisme style.The name "Rollin" refers to a large Parisian department store called Domange-Rollin, located at 55 Rue de Bretagne, Paris where this clock would have been retailed. I'm guessing if you removed the bell, you'd see the makers mark for Japy Freres who were responsible for the manufacture of the movement.My estimate of the date for your piece is circa 1860s.This design with a historisme figural cresting is popular with collectors. If you were to sell your clock at a good antique auction it would fetch in the range of £550 -£800. It therefore has a full retail value (if you saw it for sale in an antique shop) of £1600 and is what you should insure it for.I do hope this helps!Best wishes,Robert