Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

I have a(dessert) spoon and fork set. Engraved with my grandfather's initials, so was

I have a(dessert) spoon and fork set. Engraved with my grandfather's initials, so was poss a 21st present: He was born in 1900. The mark is a small square: To the left (inside it) is a capital R, to the right of which is a small double underlined 'D'. Below this square is a 'R', to the right of the square n 'F'; above the square is '19'.
The whole lot is set in a diamond shape. The top of the diamond is the '19', above all of which is a circular part with an 'O' in it. There are no other hallmarks. Any idea what I may be looking at?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Don,This is Robert here and I would be happy to help with your dessert spoon and fork.Thanks for the description of the mark. Could you very kindly attach a photo of the set and a picture of the mark and I'll tell you all about it and give you a value.Also, do you have the original presentation box for it?Many thanks,Robert PS. Once you have the photos in your computer (if you are using a smart phone camera, just email them to yourself) it's then a simple matter to attach them. Just click on the paperclip icon, located above the text box where you are typing to me. If there's no paperclip, click on the "Add files" tab.If you get stuck go here for help.http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You can send a photo or file to your Expert using the file attachment tool in the reply box of your question page (Been there -there's no reply box). Here's how:
1.On your question page, look below the last response to find the two tabs that say RATE TO FINISH and REPLY TO EXPERT. (These options aren't visible) 2.Click the REPLY TO EXPERT tab.
3.Click the paperclip icon.
Clicked on the '+ Add files' box to the right of this reply box, selected files, but nothing happens. Haven't you got a straightforward email address instead of this website malarkey?
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry you are having difficulties attaching photos. Not sure why that is happening.Yes, sure, you can email the photos. The only address that gets to me is***@******.*** the email for my attention, Robert S. in the Antiques category otherwise they won't know who to send it to. I work "on" rather than "for" JustAnswer as an independent agent so all emails have to go through a third party to protect everyone's privacy. It may take up to 24 hours, but I'll let you know as soon as I see it this end.Alternatively, as you already have the photos in your computer, you can get them to me immediately by uploading them to a free public picture hosting site. The one I prefer is www.imgur.comJust three clicks and a copy and paste and you are done:Go to http://www.imgur.com/(no need to 'log in' or 'register' it makes it too complicated)Click on "Upload Images"Click on "Browse Your Computer"Select the pictures you want to send me from the box that pops up.Hit "open".Click on "Start Upload" (and wait few seconds pictures to load)And then copy the link they give you. It will look similar to this http://www.imgur.com/xxxx and it's located on the right hand side of the page under where it says "Share Link"and paste it here where you are typing to me.(If you have uploaded multiple photos on one Imgur.com link, copy the URL in the browser bar at the top of your screen, otherwise I get just one photo).Hope this helps!Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
http://imgur.com/a/7Qcwf
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Don,Many thanks for the excellent photos, I can now see exactly what you have.This is indeed a child's spoon and fork Christening set in its original presentation box.The mark is a little unusual, but all very authentic. It's a British Design Registry "kite mark" that is effectively a patent device used in Victorian times in order to copyright a design, and which actually contains a wealth of information.At the top of the diamond the small circle contains a "Class of Material" code which in this case is a "I" for metal (there was no separate designation for silver or silverplate).Underneath at the 'north' end is the number 19 which is the 19th day of the month. At the 'south' end is an "R" for August and in the 'east' is an "F" for the year 1873. In the centre is an "Rd" meaning 'registered design' or copyrighted. Thus the design for this set was registered on the 19th of August 1873, so can be no older than that date. But then it's probably not a lot younger either as these designs only remained commercially viable for a year or two and would be replaced by newer more fashionable patterns quite frequently.So the material is silverplate (electroplated silver) rather than solid silver. It's highly unusual for solid silver to have a British Registry kite mark because the assay office date letter served as a de facto copyright date instead.Although we will never know for sure, your set was most likely made by the Sheffield maker Walker & Hall as they produced a wide range of these Christening sets at the time and many of them were marked with a kite mark.This example, for instance, similar to yours, sold on line for $84 which is probably about right.I would give yours an auction or on-line value in the range of $60 - $100.It therefore has a full retail value (if you saw it for sale in an antique shop) of $200 which is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.I do hope this helps!Best wishes,Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Excellent response; well done.
It would appear then, that whereas the engraving on the front details "WH", which I assumed to be my grandfather, could in fact be his father, also WH, born Aug 27 1872 (note: Not 1873)
Don
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
It does indeed point to your great grandfather's rather than your grandfather's Christening. The small discrepancy in the date could be a year's delay by the godparent in procuring and engraving the Christening gift, as was often the case.All the best and many thanks for the rating and bonus, much appreciated.Robert