Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

Is it possible silver cutlery not to have lion

Is it possible for british silver cutlery not to have lion passant, I have a set of cutlery which have makers marks, crown and then letter.
I'm not sure if plate, but a few items are worn so that you can hardly see marks, but no sign of another metal.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I would love to help.The next step would be for me to see pictures of the item and any marks .Use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures (one at a time) and I will be able to complete my answer, thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I have added several photos which I hope help, I have always assumed these were plate, but a friend has stated the plate wear would be clear to see.
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.
This is a canteen of engraved silver plated fish knives (not 100% positive on purpose)made by James Dixon and Sons of Sheffield England, mid to late 1800's.The mark is J D & S and an A sideways. The A represent the quality ofplating, in this case Standard Quality of 24 grams per 12 pieces.The label on the box is the retailer where the set was originally sold.This service has a current value of $300 USD.It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.