Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a copper coin from 1601, but I cannot determine the

I have a copper coin from 1601, but I cannot determine the country of origin. I suspect Spanish, Italian etc; I have KM catalogues back to 1600, but it's proving to be a real headache. Can I send you a scan of the coin please?
Colin Fielding
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I would love to help.The next step would be for me to see pictures of both sides of the coin.Use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures (one at a time) and I will be able to complete my answer, thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hope tese are OK!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now what do I do?
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.
No need to sit by the computer. I need some time for research and you will get an email when I respond a bit later.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, thanks.
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.
This is a 1601 Netherlands Dordrecht jeton (a copper counter) Dordrecht.These were made in silver and in copper.Front shows Maurice of Nassau, second son of William of Orange,inaugurated as count of Mors, Germany.On the reverse the arms of Maurice and the motto of the princesof Orange reading Je maintiendrai, I shall maintain.This jeton has a value of $130.00USD or $90GBP.It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that.
Regards,
Colin Fielding