Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

Iwould like to get valuations of various items such as vases

Customer Question

iwould like to get valuations of various items such as vases dishes etc i have photographed 11 so far but first i want a price and also if its acceptable need an e mail address to send photos tothankyou william bateman (*****@******.***)
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 11 months ago.
Hi William, My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your items.You attached photos of:Fruit bowlCovered two handle cupGlass slideMiniature sewing machineChinese export porcelain box and cover.I would be happy to appraise two items per question, if that's acceptable to you, since we appraisers get paid by JustAnswer a share of the fee you set for the question price. We are independent agents working "on" but not "for" the site, so usually do only one or sometimes two items per question. Hope this makes sense.If you'd like to go ahead on this basis, can you very kindly attach a photo of the bottom of the fruit bowl and the covered cup so I can see the marks and I'll do those two first.Best wishes,Robert.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello RobertThank you for your e mail. I dont want to get involved with monthly payments but happy to pay per two items as we go alongI have paid the starting fee and try and enclose photos of the two itemsThe marking on the fruit basket would not show on photograph It is Bazanta ware Hampton basket ref 708/5 there is a ***** *****ke an elongated G on itthank you william
Hi William,Thanks so much for the photos. Here's what I can tell you about these two.(1) Byzanta ware fruit basket by Grimwades.This is a lovely example of early 20th century Staffordshire art pottery. The colorful all-over design of fruits on a mottled rust ground embellished with gold and all under a pleasing iridescent luster glaze was created by Grimwades (trade name "Royal Winton") as 'me too' line to compete with similar wares being produced by Wedgwood with their highly successful "Butterfly" and "Fairy Luster" designs. Carltonware, Doulton, Minton, Wilkinson and many others all produced their own versions and each was a refreshing change from the stilted but artistically 'safe' designs they replaced. Grimwades (Royal Winton) introduced their Byzanta ware in 1925 and then re-launched it again in 1937. However, without seeing the mark, I can't tell you which it is -and for the purposes of value, it's of academic interest only. They called this form the "Hampton Basket" (and decorated it with many patterns, not just Byzanta) and gave it a British Design Reg No. 708155 (which is acts as a copyright) that was issued in 1924, the earliest date that the basket (not the pattern) was made.As for value, Grimwades (Royal Winton) does have a modest following of collectors, but these fancy designs, despite all the hand painting, are not nearly as appreciated by collectors as they should be. If you were to see your bowl for sale in an antique shop it would have a full retail price of about €150. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.Expect to get 30% - 40% of this if you were to sell at auction or on line (eBay, etc) (2) Dresden porcealain cup & cover marked for Helena WolfsohnBeautifully hand painted German porcelain chocolate cup and cover, circa third quarter 1800s, in an 18th century rococo revival style. Of four-lobed form with twin, scrolled & spurred handles, the cover topped with a morning glory flower finial and leaves in raised relief, resting on an en suite quatrefoil lobed underplate. Decorated with reserved scenic panels of courting couples, alternating with posies of Dresden flowers on a bleu celeste ground and embellished with minutely painted gold enamel.Marked on the base with the old AR monogram (for Augustus Rex) used by Meissen and copied by a number of Dresden and Paris porcelain makers throughout the 19th century, but this one is unmistakably that of Helena Wolfsohn. This is also very much the style of china that her factory produced.It's unusual to find one of these in undamaged condition and with its original cover. Assuming there's no restoration or repair, this piece has a retail/replacement/insurance value of €550. Again, 30% - 40% of this if you were to sell at a top auction house.Hope this helps!Best wishes,Robert
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Dear ***** Thank you for your prompt and straight forward answers. Could we proceed and value 4 other items We can go back to the other items at a later stage. Please take the cost from the debit card but if you need it again i will forwardThe new items are Card table with a top that closes over nos 1063/4 Photo album not in best condition no1010059/60/61 Plate 67/8 Set of 10 glass plates size approx 3x4 all different in box Photos attached regards William
Sure, no problem, William, I can do these next.Could you go ahead and rate my answer here (which is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no extra cost to you) and start a new question for the next items. Just make sure you put my name "For Robert S. only..................." in the subject line each time, that way they will be sure to get to me.Many thanks,Robert
Experience: Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I rated already so we can carry on You have some more to value and my debit card to coverCan i add 5 more to be valued as well
no 10080 glass decanter
no 77/78 bowl with lid and marking
No 75/6 basin and marking
" bamboo engravingsyou can take your time as only valuing for our own pleasure Thanks william Ps my technical knowledge is not very good iI tried to add photos to "add files " but did not work i will try again