Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

Hope you can help med with a table cigarette box with the marks:

Hope you can help med with a table cigarette box with the marks: anchor, lion and a "small" p (maybe 1914), but the initials are hard to read, but I believe it might be E.S.B.???
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.I will be pleased to help you.Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me. Please send photos of your box - one of the box and one clear, close-up of the marks. You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.To send photos you may use the "attach file" or "add file" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best. Kind regards,Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, it was not easy to get a picture of the marks with my iPhone, but I found som similar ones that I hope will help you. I used the row on the left side when I guessed it could be 1914, the initials resembles the one on the picture, but with an additional "S"(?) in the middel with a point between the letters. The lid has only the lion and the letter p.
Kari
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.
Kari,I will try to work with what you gave me.Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.I should be back within 45 minutes.I thank you in advance for your patience.Kind regards,Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No problem, I am going to take my dog for a walk :)Kind rgds
Kari
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.
The sponsor (maker) was Edward Souter Barnsley of Birmingham, UK. The retail antiques store value would be $625-700 assuming good condition. Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.If you would like to sell close to retail , some ideas are:The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.Artfire.comBonanza.comAmazon Marketplace: http://services.amazon.com/content/sell-on-amazon.htm/ref=footer_soa?ld=AZFSSOAThese sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.GoAntiques.comRubylane.comTias.comcyberattic.comtrocadero.comA method that could be very effective would be to place a classified in the "Maine Antique Digest" It has a large readership of collectors all across the country.I highly recommend this method. They only charge $25 for 25 words in a classified ad. This publication is a monthly newspaper as well as on their internet website.http://www.maineantiquedigest.com/advertising A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.I hope I have helped you.If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.Kind regards.DorisIf you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
and thank your very much! I actually bought the item on eBay a few years ago, don´t even remember what i paid, but not much, as I have never been a collector silver, I just liked it.I will certainly like to contact you again, and tell my friends about this site.You will of course get a five star rating!Kind rgds
Kari
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.
The five stars system is at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I actually have a problem rating you, the stars are grey and nothing happens when I try to enter the stars, even the "submit" is grey?
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for letting me know.You can try to refresh and see what happens. Again, thank you for letting me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry, I have tried refreshing, but nothing happens. I will try later though.
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so very much.Kind regards,Doris
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to check the rating box. Please try again. Kind regards,Doris
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for the positive rating. If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “Doris” at the first of the question.Thank you again.