Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

Please could you help with this vase/ginger vase I acquired

Please could you help with this vase/ginger vase I acquired from Ebay for £15. The marks are very faint I am afraid, but they resemble two of the characters that I could find Da (great) top right corner and Hong? bottom left corner, I may be wrong, but would really like to know what they are. The vase also is really unusual in the colouring as it is not dark blue and white, it is dark blue with a very pale green colour. The outer base is white and also the very top rim around the inside is white? The whole vase is heavily overglazed and heavy in itself. There is a chinking noise when you tap the vase, it is not a heavy sound at all. I also noted the unusal underglazing on just the inner part of the base where the mark is underglazed. The inside of the vase is the light green colour. Would love to know, what it is, if it is worth anything and what the colouring means on this piece and of course the marks. Regards, Carolyn.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.
This mark reads Da Qing Qianlong (Great Qing Qianlong Period Make). That period was 1736 to 1795.However, this piece was made in Hong Kong in the 1960's 70.They were know to add this mark to newer china. The faded unclear mark is the largest red flag and the other is the mark itself.This ginger jar is a mixture of cela***** ***** and blue glazes with some areas that are not glazed at all, which is another flag of later porcelain.This piece has a current value of $20 to $30GBP.It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.