Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

Please could you advise what this assumed Celadon crackle

Please could you advise what this assumed Celadon crackle vase is worth and what the mark means on the base. After researching, I have noticed that a lot of these vases do not have the black banding decoration around the top and bot***** *****ke the one i have which I thought was strange, also I believe that the red like banding on the base actually shows it is proper celadon pottery? I brought this vase for 4.99 on ebay? would love your help. thank you.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your vase.Thanks for the excellent photos, and yes, I agree about the black banding, that's not very frequently found on these and I'll explain that shortly. Meanwhile, could you very kindly tell me how tall it is?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi thanks for reply, sorry I forget to measure it, anyway its 8.1/2" tall and 5.1/2" wide. Thanks,
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Great thanks for the measurements. That's most helpful.This very nice crackle glazed celadon vase is Korean in origin and is probably quite old, certainly no newer than mid-20th century and could be as old as late 1800s. It's certainly a style that became popular at the end of the Korean Choson Dynasty, circa late 1800s.The flying cranes, all hand-painted in slip glaze, are a commonly used motif on this Korean celadon pottery. Cranes are sacred birds in the Asian tradition, they mate for life (which is true) and are believed to live for a thousand years (not so true, more like 70 - 90) so are favourite symbols of marital fidelity and longevity.The keyed border around the top (often called 'Greek key') is known as leiwen or the meander cloud and thunder pattern. It's a design that goes back thousands of years to the Chinese Zhou dynasty (1050 - 221 BC) a powerful symbol of new life, fertile lands and abundance. It was made especially popular in the west by the Hellenic Greeks, who borrowed it from the Chinese, which is why it is referred to as the 'Greek key'.The leiwen border in black appeared very infrequently on these Korean celadon flying cranes pieces and it's generally believed to have been on earlier examples rather than recent ones, so this is good evidence for the late 1800s date.The artist's mark is written in a stylized archaic form of "bronze script" which is notoriously hard to decipher. Even the Chinese struggle with it. But then deciphering the name of the potter/decorator is of curiosity value only as there is no specific following in the west for individual potters and, indeed, no written records of who they were.Your piece is actually quite valuable. I am amazed you managed to buy it for £4.99 on eBay! Good for you!It's certainly a good place to get Korean pottery 'steals', but this is an exception. This example of a flying cranes vase by the same artist as yours sold on eBay recently for £55. But even that is way too low for your vase. At a proper antique auction house having a specialist sale in Asian ceramics, your vase would fetch in the range of £70 - £100. It therefore has a full retail value of at least £200 and is what you should insure it for.I do hope this helps!Best wishes,Robert